first ride on the red princess!

Tell us all the gorey details!

first ride on the red princess!

Postby dibbs » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:59 am

My first ride out today on the 300 factory, about 40 miles and WOW i love this bike! I am well impressed with it, brakes are superb, very powerful but not overwhelming, you can feel when it's coming on the pipe, plenty of torque and low down grunt, i was lugging through the mud in 3rd with no problem! Very slight engine braking, and the suspension never bottomed out front or rear all day! I really like this bike and felt comfortable on it straight away. I adjusted the tickover slightly as it wasnt holding an idle, and its a slight bit burbly (if thats even a word!) At pull away speed, so im going to adjust the mixture screw probably half a turn to lean it out a tad. But all in all so far im well impressed with the red princess lol.... oh and i need bar risers to make it complete...... :D :D :D :D :D
dibbs

Re: first ride on the red princess!

Postby bikesparky » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:09 pm

dibbs wrote: oh and i need bar risers to make it complete...... :D :D :D :D :D

No you don't!!!
:D
bikesparky

Postby dibbs » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:12 am

lol well I am 6ft 2", and did feel when standing that I was going to go over the bars quite a few times! but I'm interested that you think I don't need them, please tell me more as strangely you are not the first person to say this! :?
dibbs

Postby hooter » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:17 am

I found the bars were a bit low on my 300RR, so this something I'm interested in also.
hooter

Postby Johnny Depp » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:59 pm

I run the BRP bar mounts with rubber elastomers and it raises them up a bit, it's fine for me at 6'0".
Johnny Depp

Postby bikesparky » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:19 pm

dibbs wrote:lol well I am 6ft 2", and did feel when standing that I was going to go over the bars quite a few times! but I'm interested that you think I don't need them, please tell me more as strangely you are not the first person to say this! :?

I'm sure it's a personal thing and people are passionate about it, a bit like oil choice or tyres...
Anyway my personal and partially scientific explanation. :geek:
Unless you're really tall (+6 ft 6" maybe )or have a injury or so there is no need for them as they ruin the feel.
If you feel like you're going over the bars your legs are too straight which can result in knee injury.
They also ruin the feel, a simple explanation is try to use a ratchet and socket with one hand (hand on the handle) with or without extension. It is exaggerated but a similar feel.

Before harsh replies, I'm not a 20 year old short person. I'm 53 and 6ft. Doing leg, lower back exercises and push biking helps to strengthen the muscles to make transition from sitting to standing easy and staying there without getting cramps. Not saying you're not fit, I'm just speaking from experience as I did all these mistakes before and luckily got schooled properly. I know the Beta is a tad smaller and lower compared to the orange stuff but I can't see the point of bar risers unless you're a professional basket player.
bikesparky

Postby dibbs » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:02 am

Well sparky that is a very good explanation for not using risers, and food for thought,thanks. Ive since been on the bike again and it doesn't feel as bad as before! So may leave the risers for now and spend the money on a new air filter instead lol :D
dibbs

Return to Ride Reports