First points race on Beta

Tell us all the gorey details!

First points race on Beta

Postby GMP » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:35 am

Managed to get on the podium with the bike with a 3rd. Course was a mix of mellow MX track and mountain singletrack with lots of switchback turns and short climbs. Pretty dry and loose/silty in spots with a sloppy track from over aggressive watering. Motor was the bomb, couldn't ask for more. In the smaller rocks and roots it just eats it up, 3rd gear and bye bye to the swapping MX bikes. I did find I'm soft for the faster bigger hits and the track, gave up some there for sure. Also realize you can't get lazy with body position when traction is questionable (silt). Once things got loose I had to make sure I had plenty of weight on the fork. Could also be influenced by the new M59 front tire, as I have never noticed this with the Scorpion XCMS I had before. Overall a good day.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Re: First points race on Beta

Postby flybars » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:05 am

Good going! I noticed my last ride on friday struggling to get up steep, very loose rocky trails. The back end was all over the place. I'm hoping it is just the rear tire not hooking up for this type of terrain. I'm going to install a trials rear tomorrow.
'14 300rr
flybars

Postby GMP » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:09 am

I run Tubliss, about 8-10PSI with an MT16. Like velcro on everything and once you get under 10PSI the ride really calms down in the rocks with close to TT performance and none of the drawbacks. TTs are good in rocks but give up too much in corners, braking, and real loose stuff. I passed two guys with TTs and they were having a harder time with traction on these short, loose uphills out of turns with no run. My brother was going to run his and he was glad I talked him out of it. I like them riding by my house as they work well and last a long time. The stock FIM tire is decent in larger dry rocks but the short knobs give up a lot in anything loose. The stock valving feels pretty good in the rocks even with a knobby and a tube. I can only assume Les made your HS comp even softer, as my adjuster is pretty far out for a good ride. This weekend is a very sandy course with a small MX section, no rocks, and fast trail, so I have to get things somewhat stiffer.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby flybars » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:36 am

Les has my shock comp at 20 out and my shock hs comp at 18 out with rebound at 16 out. So to get the rear more stable in loose rock, should I go out a couple clicks on the h.s. comp? Probly more the short knobs on the stock tire than anything. We have had a ton of rain lately so the trials rear should do fine over here. And will be riding lots of rock ravines and ledges this winter along with a firm type of sand. The trials rear does well in this stuff. Downhills are scary using the trials rear in the summer here. So dry with a thick layer of silty sand on top of everything.
'14 300rr
flybars

Postby twowheels » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:43 am

flybars wrote:Les has my shock comp at 20 out and my shock hs comp at 18 out with rebound at 16 out. So to get the rear more stable in loose rock, should I go out a couple clicks on the h.s. comp? Probly more the short knobs on the stock tire than anything. We have had a ton of rain lately so the trials rear should do fine over here. And will be riding lots of rock ravines and ledges this winter along with a firm type of sand. The trials rear does well in this stuff. Downhills are scary using the trials rear in the summer here. So dry with a thick layer of silty sand on top of everything.

The issue seems to be that there are only 22 clicks of both hsc and lsc on the shock. Better to adjust the stack so that the clickers run in the middle (generally) and you have both plus and minus adjustment available trailside.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby Beta Steve » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:39 pm

Hey Bob I know the pm notice is hard to see, but check it k?
Beta Steve

Postby flybars » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:13 am

Thanks Steve's. PM sent and appreciate as much suspension tips as U guys want to hand out. Last Friday a rider on a ktm350 exclaimed that he can't smell any 2t exhaust when following me. And when he picked my bike up once after I had fallen into a tangle of brush, he was impressed how light my bike was. Both he and a guy on a ktm500exc kept mentioning how beautiful the Beta is. Both ktm rider's breaks were screeching all day long. Quite annoying.
'14 300rr
flybars

Postby GMP » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:34 am

Funny you should say that about the exhaust, I had a guy ask me if I was running a Smartcarb! Jetting is spot on and I mean SPOT ON. All I ever did was tweak the airscrew for some cooler AM temps.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby twowheels » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:49 am

I have a 300 in for service - one kick wonder! I haven't even tried the button yet :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby flybars » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:01 pm

It's wonderful to have my bike run so well! I canceled my smartcarb order 2 weeks ago.
'14 300rr
flybars

Next

Return to Ride Reports