Love my new Beta!!

ISDE, Enduro, Hare Scrambles, etc.

Love my new Beta!!

Postby Sheepdog » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:16 pm

So, I picked up my 300RR Race edition from Allsport Cycles in Roanoke, Va on Feb 27. Our first race in the VCHSS was on March 26, so I was a little nervous changing to a new bike that close to the start.

I race in 45+C and had a pretty good KTM 300XC I sold to buy the Beta. I did win one race on it the year before and ended up 4th in points. So, yeah, I was a little nervous trying something new.

Our first race, I was third off the line and passed for the lead about a 1/2 mile later. Led until I had problems passing some people in the rocks. I ended up second. Not a bad start.

My bike is completely stock, except for springs for my weight, Suspension valving is stock.

So, last Sunday, I backed of a little rebound in the forks and did our second race. I was second off of the line, still working on my starts using the button. About a half mile in, I passed for the lead and lead for a lap and a half. A kid I was going to pass crashed in the only mudhole on the course, I tried going left to go around him and crashed myself. Took a minute and 20 seconds to get the bike up and going again and second passed me as I was taking off. I had one other little mishap and went back to third. I passed them both back by the end of that lap and completed the last lap still in the lead! So, a win the second time out is fine with me!

He is a video if you are bored. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFtZ-e5Yt_w

I read the Dirt Rider article that came out not too long ago and they called this a play bike. They did not like the suspension, said the bike does not turn well and does not have the top end of a KTM. I beg to differ. This bike is amazing! It turns so much better than my KTM and while I changed the springs for my weight, the valving is stock. I think the suspension is pretty damn good! And there is plenty of top end. It just annoys me the Dirt Rider is most likely biased by whomever spends the most in advertising dollars.

Can't wait till the next race.

Ride safe!

Eric
Sheepdog

Re: Love my new Beta!!

Postby OscarFox » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:08 pm

Sheepdog wrote:So, I picked up my 300RR Race edition from Allsport Cycles in Roanoke, Va on Feb 27. Our first race in the VCHSS was on March 26, so I was a little nervous changing to a new bike that close to the start.

I race in 45+C and had a pretty good KTM 300XC I sold to buy the Beta. I did win one race on it the year before and ended up 4th in points. So, yeah, I was a little nervous trying something new.

Our first race, I was third off the line and passed for the lead about a 1/2 mile later. Led until I had problems passing some people in the rocks. I ended up second. Not a bad start.

My bike is completely stock, except for springs for my weight, Suspension valving is stock.

So, last Sunday, I backed of a little rebound in the forks and did our second race. I was second off of the line, still working on my starts using the button. About a half mile in, I passed for the lead and lead for a lap and a half. A kid I was going to pass crashed in the only mudhole on the course, I tried going left to go around him and crashed myself. Took a minute and 20 seconds to get the bike up and going again and second passed me as I was taking off. I had one other little mishap and went back to third. I passed them both back by the end of that lap and completed the last lap still in the lead! So, a win the second time out is fine with me!

He is a video if you are bored. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFtZ-e5Yt_w

I read the Dirt Rider article that came out not too long ago and they called this a play bike. They did not like the suspension, said the bike does not turn well and does not have the top end of a KTM. I beg to differ. This bike is amazing! It turns so much better than my KTM and while I changed the springs for my weight, the valving is stock. I think the suspension is pretty damn good! And there is plenty of top end. It just annoys me the Dirt Rider is most likely biased by whomever spends the most in advertising dollars.

Can't wait till the next race.

Ride safe!

Eric

Agreed, I put much more stock in real rider feedback. Great job man!
'15 250RR Race
'18 390RR Race
OscarFox

Postby 74ossaguy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:21 pm

Yes, I am with you guys, the front end sticks like glue for me, off a KTM as well. I get zero deflection for roots and such whether sitting, standing, wet forward weight back etc. Soo much confidence in the front end now. The bike does rev out nicely for me too.

I rode the stock suspension for a long time too then had the forks revalved to reduce some trail chop. They needed servicing anyway.

I like the reliability I get and the simplicity. I had to make 1 jetting change from stock, lower the needle one notch. To me, the motor is so smoothand runs so clean in a wide variety of situations and temps its great.

Betas are really good bikes.

KTM has the masses brainwashed at this point.
74ossaguy

Postby Badchad » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:21 pm

I picked up a new 2018 Beta 300rr in Jan.2018. I had it sitting in my heated garage, staring at it daily. I put some protection pieces on it, FMF spark arrestor, and springs for my weight. I live in Northern WI, so we still have snow on the ground. I planned my first race about 6 hrs south into IL. Race day was 3/4/18 in Keithsburg, IL. I changed the needle, otherwise all else was stock. I did not have a chance to ride the bike much, about 2 miles around my house. So I left the suspension at all the stock settings. Then came race day, 53 degrees and sunny! The bike had 4 miles on it. I set myself up on the start line for my first Hare Scramble ever, 30+ C. I left the line 21 of 22 people, I had a starting issue. But 20.5 miles and 1 hr 47 min later, I finished my first race. The bike ran pretty flawless. My starting issue on the line was a too small pilot jet. While racing, when I let off the gas, and bike was idling, I had a lean backfire/popping sound. I have installed a 40 pilot jet and that has no went away. The suspension was good, just needed adjustments to the clickers ( I did not have time to do ahead of time). Overall, the bike was great, I will get the suspension tuned for my liking before the next Hare Scramble. I am very happy with my first Beta!
‘18-300RR
Badchad

Return to Off Road Racer's Corner