Idaho City 100

ISDE, Enduro, Hare Scrambles, etc.

Idaho City 100

Postby aj_mariner » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:02 am

It’s been a minute but figured I should write something up incase someone is looking to do this race:

Finished day 1 of the Idaho City 100. I had planned on doing both days but had to be back at work on Tuesday, and knew I wouldn’t be able to drive 10 hours on Monday if I also raced Sunday. So next year I will be taking more time off to finish both days. Day 1 was 120 miles, 7 hours of racing to finish on minute. Fuckin boner! Day 2 is the same but the opposite direction. So really it should be named Idaho City 240.

I raced Open B and finished 3rd in my class, 7th in the Overall B Schedule Day 1. Each day is considered a different race so if you don’t do day 2 it has no effect on day 1.

The race is a Reliability Enduro, much less horseshit than a timekeeper enduro. You have to be at checkpoints on your minute. Everything in between is just special tests and transition sections. The transition sections were the best riding.

There are three gas stops. Top off at each one no matter what. Apparently some pros made a donk move and thought they might be able to skip one. They ran empty, got stuck on the trail, and DNF’d. Duct tape water to each can. I only needed water at the gas stop before check 4, but it was cool and rained earlier. The year before it was 95degrees and would probably have needed it all.

I know tire choice is subjective but I decided to try out a new front. I put a 80/100 Bridgestone X31 up front and went with the ol’ trusty 130/80 M5B rear, progressive mousses in each. I put an old fatty mousse in the front and it fit in with the right amount of persuasion. Loved it, will use the same setup next year. The X31 up front was a rail, perfect choice for that terrain. The rear did the same.

It rained on us pretty good and I was soaked heading into special test 2. Goggles were almost completely fogged over, and my towel was wet so I couldn’t dry them off. I just took the goggles off and paid for it. Pulled boulders, mud, and sand out of my eyes and had a splitting headache when stopped to gas up/eat/tape nipples before check 4. Woke up the next day to the same. If it rains, bring two sets of goggles. Someone said that the heated 509 snowmobile goggles would have been perfect.

There weren’t many holdups on the trail but there were a few. I guess the earlier you sign up the better chance you have at starting before most. There were really only 4 holdups for me, only one took longer than a minute to wait for.

Here’s a quick vid if you’re interested: https://youtu.be/upk-i9hy8FQ
‘17 300 RE - gone
‘22 300 RE
aj_mariner

Re: Idaho City 100

Postby fenderworks » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:33 pm

sounds like a good day of riding!
fenderworks
fenderworks

Return to Off Road Racer's Corner