Boyesen RAD Valve Intake System for Beta

Announce Beta products & services here - Vendors Welcome...

Boyesen RAD Valve Intake System for Beta

Postby uawelder » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:16 am

Boyesen RAD Intake System is now available for the 2018 250RR and the 300RR (oil injected models)
Part number is RAD94
If you have disabled the oil injection or if you have a Race Edition, no worries cause Boyesen has you covered too.
Part number is RAD94A.

Included in the kit are; 1/8" spacer (more on this later), 2 gaskets, 4 bolts and instalation instructions w/ jetting recomendations.

Cost is $179.95

Lectron owners take note:
The cage is shorter than the OEM, that's where the spacer comes into play. With this spacer left off I think this will allow a lectron carb to be mounted without having the air boot rubbing on the shock spring. I will find out when my lectron arrives and I fit it up.

I do not know if this will fit the X-trainer. The gasket numbers from beta are the same, but the inlet manifold is a different number.

Lee
uawelder

Re: Boyesen RAD Valve Intake System for Beta

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:58 am

So what’s supposed to be the claimed benefit?
hawaiidirtrider

Postby uawelder » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:47 am

Basic 2 stroke Tuning
by Eric Gorr

Think of a reed valve like a carburetor, bigger valves with large flow-areas work best for high rpm power bands. In general, reed valves with six or more petals are used for high rpm engines. Reed valves with four petals are used for dirt bikes that need strong low end and mid range power.
Boyesen Dual Stage reeds have a large thick base reed with a smaller thinner reed mounted on top. This setup widens the rpm range where the reed valve flows best. The thin reeds respond to low rpm and low frequency pressure pulses. The thick reeds respond to higher-pressure pulses and resist fluttering at high rpm. A Boyesen RAD valve is different than a traditional reed valve. Bikes with single rear shocks have off-set carbs. The RAD valve is designed to redistribute the gas flow to the crankcases evenly. A RAD valve will give an overall improvement to the power band.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So with that being said, the benefits of a rad valve were a secondary consideration for my situation.

Due to the changing elevations and temp's where I will be riding at, I want to install a lectron carb to free me from playing the jetting game. Yes I am aware of the possibility of having to change the needle height in a lectron, but that is a far cry from replacing main & pilot jets.

With the new carb I will lose oil injection and must go to premix. I didn't want to risk air leaks from capping the port on the manifold, so a new manifold is required. I contacted Boyesen to see if they had a Rad Valve set up for the Beta's yet. They confirmed that they had been in production for only a couple of weeks and no info had been released yet. The oil injection removal kit from beta is about $15 less than what I paid for the Rad Valve. When the Rad Valve arrived & I found that it was shorter than the OEM part, that was just icing on the cake.

From my perspective this was a no brainer. YMMV
uawelder

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:50 am

Thanks for the info.. got a couple of Eric Gorr books here. Maybe I should review again.

Well I guess I can just link the site too ... I had one on my cr 250 honda and it worked ok for that.

Just wondered as stock the bike runs great.

http://www.boyesen.com/

Got so many goodies now. Ive only been running my 15 Beta 300 rr totally stock and it’s been great. I just ordered an RK head for my bike. Didn’t go on yet. You might look into that mod too later maybe . Seems lots are getting great results with it. I don’t know though. Too many goodies at one time may be too much. Step by step.. You already have the lectron and the rad valve to figure. Sounds like it’s a brand new mod that will be interesting to know about. Please fill us in on how it all performs later.
hawaiidirtrider

Postby Regs » Sun May 06, 2018 9:49 am

Any update on the rad valve with a lectron?
Regs

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Sun May 06, 2018 5:21 pm

Regs wrote:Any update on the rad valve with a lectron?

Beta comes with vforce reeds. I remember with my Honda cr 250 both the vforce reeds and Boyesen reeds worked about the same. In this case it’s seeming to have more room to fit the electron. The Boyesen works out better for fitment in this case... but yea I don’t know about performance. This way too got the electron and the Boyesen together to try to figure how it works. It’s no matter if it works good though. Yea waiting too to see how it goes..
hawaiidirtrider

Postby uawelder » Tue May 08, 2018 7:31 am

Update
Still in the process of gettting carb dialed in using the rad valve. Most would have been happy with the out of box settings. I feel there is still a little bit on the table. Boyesen says you need to go a little leaner using their reeds. I have been slowly working on this with different rods and am very close now. Bike is truly amazing across the board, low end from off idle crisp with lots of grunt, seamless transition all the way thru to sign off. I dropped the front from 14 to 13, PV screw set to flush & map switch on sun. Use second gear for tight trails and third for more open trails. No gear changes needed can loft front on command in either gear from down at idling speed. It's just much easier in second gear. All the advantages of 4T single gear selection without the wait to get to scary fast speeds.

My neighbor rode it last weekend, he races hare scrambles on a ktm. He has ridden a 17 300rr and the GG. He was floored by the power band. His comment being "I didn't have to shift, kept it in third the entire ride, unbelievable".
uawelder

Postby 454X » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:15 pm

uawelder, what meter rod did you settle on , I'm getting ready to install a rad valve and 42m rod.
2014 BETA 300RR W/36MM LECTRON.
2012 HUSQVARNA CR165WB W/36MM LECTRON.
454X

Postby 454X » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:46 pm

Just got my rad valve, will post about it later.
2014 BETA 300RR W/36MM LECTRON.
2012 HUSQVARNA CR165WB W/36MM LECTRON.
454X

Postby Trail Rider » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:16 pm

Good discussion. Will be heading into season 2 on my 18 300rr, all stock. I've migrated away from doing many mods on bikes but was always interested in the Lectron (or Smart carb?) because I tend to have decent elevation & temp ranges. I've read about fitment issues with the Lectron, so the Boyseen RAD appears to help. Looking forward to see more info on this.
2018 Beta 300RR
Trail Rider

Next

Return to Product Announcements