X-Trainer FMF Gnarly with Force Combo

Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

X-Trainer FMF Gnarly with Force Combo

Postby bkdroid » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:10 am

I've put in an order for a '17 X-Trainer. Which means I have some time to figure out accessories before it gets here (estimated build date of Sep 26... :( . I am going back and forth on the options for Pipe/Guard/Skidplate combination.

Given the weak walls of the stock pipe, I'm planning to get the FMF Gnarly. I've heard that it keeps the low grunt and adds some to mid-top. I also like the look of the Force Skid/Pipe guard Combo, but that produces a big question that I can't find an answer to. Will that combo work with the Gnarly. I contacted Force and Beta.au to ask. They don't know, but offered to send one to me for just the price of shipping to try it out. While that's a pretty reasonable offer, I don't have a bike to try it on. Has anyone had real-world experience with this?

My other options are:
    Force plate with stock pipe
    Gnarly pipe with Enduro Engineering plate (and try to fab up my own cage with negligible experience or skill)
    Gnarly pipe, and for the bike to get here, and test (I don't see myself having the patience for this one)
    (something I may not have considered yet..?)
What say you?
bkdroid

Re: X-Trainer FMF Gnarly with Force Combo

Postby bkdroid » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:14 am

For anyone that was interested, or searches for an answer to this question in the future, a member at TT was kind enough to do some experimenting:

benJAZDirtRider, on 20 Aug 2016 - 7:11 PM, said:
Update - I finally got the RR guard fitted up today with the FMF Gnarly pipe. If you bolt the guard straight up with no mods, it will work but doesn't fit up tight to the frame. To fix this issue I made just a few simple modifications.
1) The backside of the guard is kicked up a bit compared to the Xtrainer guard, which is basically flat. I straightened it out with a vice.
2) The slot for the front exhaust mount hole interferes with the Xtrainer mount, so I opened that up both to the right side and the front with a Dremel.
3) There is a spacer installed on the rear mount of the guard, but it is too big. I removed it and used one that is a few mm shorter.

After these quick mods, which took a little less than an hour, it fits as well as the Xtrainer guard, tight to the frame, and tight to the pipe without touching. I can post pics if anyone is interested.

So, a 300RR Force Combo + some elbow grease is compatible with the Gnarly pipe
bkdroid

Return to Engine - 2 Stroke