Pumping way too much oil!!

Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Pumping way too much oil!!

Postby cnote308 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:05 pm

I have a 2017 300rr that is pumping massive amounts of oil when opening throttle. It seems fine when idling, but as soon as I open the throttle it pumps like 3" in a matter of seconds. It smokes heavily at this point. I have 62 hours on the bike and just now noticed this problem; first noticed it as sputtering/breaking up at about 1/4 throttle that would not clear up every time with more throttle (lots of smoke when breaking up). Only thing recently changed was switching from Motul 710 to Amsoil Interceptor. Interceptor is noticeably thinner, could that be the problem?

Checked all connections/grounds
tps values: blue to black = 5.1 kohms, yellow to black @ closed throttle = 0.6 kohms, and at wide open throttle = 3.5 kohms
Charging system is good
pump resistance is 19.5 ohms

I'm taking it to dealer on Tuesday but would appreciate any insight before that time. Thanks.
cnote308

Re: Pumping way too much oil!!

Postby Pieter » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:26 am

Why don't you Just try another ride with the motul oil? Just to be sure the oil is not the problem.
Me having the same problem with new bike. Previous 2016 never gave problems tot me.
Pieter

Postby wwguy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:19 am

The Dellorto PLE oil pump used on these bikes is a piston-driven volumetric design, which moves the same amount of volume with each stroke of the piston. It's possible you might see minor variations with extreme changes in oil viscosity from brand to brand, but nothing like what you describe. (Otherwise you'd have significant variation between riding hot weather in the summer and cold weather in the winter.)

First thing I'd check is the 4700 uF capacitor in the wiring harness near the ECU. These things are known to fail and wreak havoc with OI operation.
wwguy

Postby cnote308 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:16 am

wwguy wrote:The Dellorto PLE oil pump used on these bikes is a piston-driven volumetric design, which moves the same amount of volume with each stroke of the piston. It's possible you might see minor variations with extreme changes in oil viscosity from brand to brand, but nothing like what you describe. (Otherwise you'd have significant variation between riding hot weather in the summer and cold weather in the winter.)

First thing I'd check is the 4700 uF capacitor in the wiring harness near the ECU. These things are known to fail and wreak havoc with OI operation.

Ok, thanks for the info; I'll check it tonight. My multimeter does not measure capacitance, what should I look for to indicate failure?
cnote308

Postby wwguy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:37 am

cnote308 wrote:Ok, thanks for the info; I'll check it tonight. My multimeter does not measure capacitance, what should I look for to indicate failure?

Look for corrosion and broken wires on the capacitor. Check out this previous thread for examples.
wwguy

Postby cnote308 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:55 pm

wwguy wrote:
cnote308 wrote:Ok, thanks for the info; I'll check it tonight. My multimeter does not measure capacitance, what should I look for to indicate failure?

Look for corrosion and broken wires on the capacitor. Check out this previous thread for examples.

Nice...thanks for the link, very helpful. Honestly, the more I find out about the OI system the more I lean towards disabling it and premixing. I just don't understand how Beta was satisfied with an open loop system that seems to have multiple scenarios that could lead to catastrophic engine failure without recognizing anything is wrong with the system. I'm sure keeping cost and complexity to a minimum were part of the design requirements; but number one must be reliability in this case. There are too many things that can go wrong for me to be sold on this system at this point.

Other than having to premix, are there any major issues with removing OI system? I do some slow technical riding and I'm concerned about it loading up and always having to clear it out...is that a real issue for people who premix? (This Beta is my first 2 stroke experience)
cnote308

Postby cnote308 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:09 pm

Capacitor looked brand new...leads were spotless and intact. Going to talk with dealer techs tomorrow but 95% certain I will be going to premix from here on out.
cnote308

Postby McKay » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:19 pm

I went pre mix, not because I had an issue but because I don't want the chance of having one deep in the desert or woods. It was nice while I had it but I am much more confident now. The tank is a PAIN IN THE ASS to remove.....
McKay

Postby wwguy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:47 pm

cnote308 wrote:Other than having to premix, are there any major issues with removing OI system? I do some slow technical riding and I'm concerned about it loading up and always having to clear it out...is that a real issue for people who premix? (This Beta is my first 2 stroke experience)

From Beta's perspective the primary advantages of OI are reduced emissions (environmental), reduced oil consumption (cost savings), and rider convenience. I also tend towards slower technical riding style and my 2016 Xtrainer runs fine since I removed the OI system. The Race Edition bikes still come from the factory with no OI and most everyone racing regular two-stroke RR and Xtrainers are removing OI systems from their bikes for weight reduction and predictable dependability.

The simplest way to disable OI is to drain the oil tank, and then disconnect and plug the oil line port at the intake manifold. The bike will run fine on premix at that point. Optionally you can also disconnect the oil tank level sensor to disable the low level warning light. If you want to disable the OI system failure light you'll need to cut or remove a wire from the connector at the speedo display. (I can help you identify this wire if necessary.) But the bike will run fine with the warning lights on too.

If desired you can remove the oil tank, vent line, oil line, oil pump, and disconnect the TPS electrical connector coming from the carb. If you want to replace the intake manifold with one that doesn't have an oil port and/or remove the TPS from the stock carb you'll need to purchase Beta's OIl Injection Removal Kit for $120 or so. Even if you don't purchase the kit's instructions might be helpful in removing the OI system.

Hope this helps.
wwguy

Postby cnote308 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:32 pm

wwguy wrote:
cnote308 wrote:Other than having to premix, are there any major issues with removing OI system? I do some slow technical riding and I'm concerned about it loading up and always having to clear it out...is that a real issue for people who premix? (This Beta is my first 2 stroke experience)

From Beta's perspective the primary advantages of OI are reduced emissions (environmental), reduced oil consumption (cost savings), and rider convenience. I also tend towards slower technical riding style and my 2016 Xtrainer runs fine since I removed the OI system. The Race Edition bikes still come from the factory with no OI and most everyone racing regular two-stroke RR and Xtrainers are removing OI systems from their bikes for weight reduction and predictable dependability.

The simplest way to disable OI is to drain the oil tank, and then disconnect and plug the oil line port at the intake manifold. The bike will run fine on premix at that point. Optionally you can also disconnect the oil tank level sensor to disable the low level warning light. If you want to disable the OI system failure light you'll need to cut or remove a wire from the connector at the speedo display. (I can help you identify this wire if necessary.) But the bike will run fine with the warning lights on too.

If desired you can remove the oil tank, vent line, oil line, oil pump, and disconnect the TPS electrical connector coming from the carb. If you want to replace the intake manifold with one that doesn't have an oil port and/or remove the TPS from the stock carb you'll need to purchase Beta's OIl Injection Removal Kit for $120 or so. Even if you don't purchase the kit's instructions might be helpful in removing the OI system.

Hope this helps.

Yes, this helps a lot...thank you. I'll be disabling the OI tomorrow...it will be worth it to ME if for nothing other than peace of mind.

P.S. - I LOVE this bike!
cnote308

Next

Return to Engine - 2 Stroke