Few issues. Suggestions welcome

Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Few issues. Suggestions welcome

Postby Bi66badjohn » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:24 pm

17 300 RR 40 hours owned it since new.

Bike has always spooged out the silencer. Leaned it as much as I could go and still the same issue. Also bad gas milage . With oil injection I was averaging 20mpg. Ripped it out and installed a lectron and a s3 high comp head. Leaned the lectron as much as possible with still a large amount of oil coming out of the silencer and poor milage .
Today pulled the ignition side cover to see if the main bearing was leaking, no
Drained and measured the Trans fluid thinking maybe it was being sucked in the motor and over oiling that way. 850 ML came out almost exactly.

Not sure what else to try.....
Bi66badjohn

Re: Few issues. Suggestions welcome

Postby twowheels » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:45 pm

If you're on the pipe, 20mpg equals 50 miles per tank ... I'd take that.

I wouldn't jet by spooge though. If the silencer packing gets saturated with oil the spooge will continue until it burns off, and by that point you may have burned down the bike. If you're running a stock (or similar nickel plated pipe) an easy, but also lagging guide, is the color of the pipe. If you see purple (and the bike is still running) you're on the verge of a bad thing happening. A straw/light gold color is magic.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby Bi66badjohn » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:15 pm

I hit reserve yesterday at 39 miles. That was a slow technical ride. Weird thing is, the bike runs fantastic
Bi66badjohn

Postby moto367 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:42 am

plug reading?
moto367

Postby KB112 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:39 am

It is a mystery to me how two guys can have the same bike and jetting and get much different amounts of spooge. I get very little spooge, especially during summer (just a ring of spooge mist on the tip) and I have jetted it all over the place. Even with my current jetting, which many on here would call rich, I barely get any spooge. Jetting is 40p, NEDH 3rd, and 168 main and I run klotz tc2 oil at 40:1.

Do you have a spark arrestor? I have the FMF q stealth and I refresh the packing around every 30 hours.
KB112

Postby mtdirtbag » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:04 am

What pre-mix oil are you using?
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Postby aj_mariner » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:30 am

Bi66badjohn wrote:I hit reserve yesterday at 39 miles. That was a slow technical ride. Weird thing is, the bike runs fantastic

You still have oil injection?
‘17 300 RE - gone
‘22 300 RE
aj_mariner

Postby Gibnut » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:32 pm

mtdirtbag wrote:What pre-mix oil are you using?

This.

I have run Motul 800 @ 2% in a KTM 300, same jetting as I run in the Beta, and had spooge.

Now I run Motul 710 @ 2% and no spooge. Mainly slow technical stuff, very little otp riding. Just done a top end at 60hrs & crank, bore & piston looked great, rings still in spec.

Repack your silencer, leave everything else the same but try a different oil at the same ratio.
Gibnut

Postby Bi66badjohn » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:13 pm

Lectron at stock setting.
Bi66badjohn

Postby little_wing » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:31 pm

Gibnut wrote:
mtdirtbag wrote:What pre-mix oil are you using?

This.

I have run Motul 800 @ 2% in a KTM 300, same jetting as I run in the Beta, and had spooge.

Now I run Motul 710 @ 2% and no spooge. Mainly slow technical stuff, very little otp riding. Just done a top end at 60hrs & crank, bore & piston looked great, rings still in spec.

Repack your silencer, leave everything else the same but try a different oil at the same ratio.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Motul 800 is the worst oil you can run......... now now before you jump down my back....... listen......

Motul 800 has a flash point of like 485 F or there abouts.... unless you are on the pipe like a MX pro 100% of the time you will never get the bike that hot to burn the oil..... there for the oil gets blown out the bike through the silencer.
as you can see by the list below motul 710 has a flash point of 190f there for it can be burnt off as intended .

for those that don't know what "flash point" means....
""the lowest temperature at which a volatile combustible substance ignite in air when exposed to flame""
in normal talk that means the temperature when the oil will burn.

Amsoil Interceptor - 183 F
Amsoil Dominator- 194 F
Amsoil Saber Pro - 237 F
Maxima Formula K2 - 240 F
Maxima Super M - 280 F
Maxima Super M Injector - 220 F
Maxima Castor 927 - 420 F
Maxima Bio 2T - 180 F
Motul 710 - 190 F
Motul 800 - 485 F
Motul Bio 2T - 255 F
Motorex Cross Power 2T - 230 F
Lucas Semi Synthetic - 182 F
Bel Ray H1R - 435 F
Bel Ray MC1 - 208 F
Bel Ray Si7 - 194 F
Castrol Power RS- 163 F
Castrol 2T - 194 F
Red Line Two-Stroke Racing Oil - 221 °F

so the reason that two people with the same bike have different amounts spooge is the normal running temp of the motor will change a lot depending on how hard or light the person is on the gas. and what oil they are running.. it either being one of high or low flashpoint..

now I am not saying motul 800 is crap oil. its really really good. but only for those people that can ride on the pipe all the time riding like a kicked cat.
in a two stroke when everything is how it should be you should burn off the oil once it gets in to the combustion chamber..
think about why we mix..... to lube the piston rings and below,(ie crank and such) so once the gas/oil mix is on top of the piston ( combustion chamber) we dont need the oil any more.. there for its designed to be burnt off during combustion.

now alot of people are gonna tell me that when they run motul 800 they smoke alot.... which is correct.
then they are gonna say well smoke means its burning off, ....... no not true. that is unburned oil vapors which then turn from vapor back to a soild ( ie spooge)

look at people like gram jarvis .... they can ride a 2 stroke fast as hell or slower then hell, do you ever see there bikes puffing blue oil smoke....... no because they choose the right oil for where the normal engine temps for their skill and riding
2015 beta 250RR
little_wing

Next

Return to Engine - 2 Stroke