Bike shuts off

Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Bike shuts off

Postby 18lstroup » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:22 pm

My 2017 300rr just randomly shut off while going down the road. Just bogged out and shut off. Waited a while and played with choke and got it started again. Just for it to do the same thing again 3 more times till I got home. What should I look for ?
18lstroup

Re: Bike shuts off

Postby aj_mariner » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:48 pm

Start with the basics: spark, fuel, air
‘17 300 RE - gone
‘22 300 RE
aj_mariner

Postby webmaster » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:02 pm

Since you played with choke and felt this had some effect - it makes one think you have a "fuel issue" versus an "electrical issue"

My first guess would be water in the carb. The water will accumulate at the bottom of the carb bowl and then slosh around - it will block the jets as it does so - fuel starvation. Can be intermittent as you describe. Drain the carb.

Are you using ethanol blended fuel?

Also check vent lines on carb - I like to cut ends to 45 degree angle - avoids blockage better.

And check vent on gas cap to make sure tank is venting properly...

jeff
Webmaster
Beta Riders Club
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby AZRickD » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:23 pm

On carbed bikes, the tank vent on the cap is more crucial than it would seem.

Check to see if the vent is clear and the check valve is functioning.

If this is the issue, just opening the cap when it shuts down will temporarily “fix” the problem.
AZRickD

Postby 18lstroup » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:48 pm

Ah hahh... After finding my gas tank was vapor locked I feel it's something with the vent hose. I also found my o ring in the tank..... What gas cap fits these bikes?
18lstroup

Postby bikesparky » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:33 am

18lstroup wrote:Ah hahh... After finding my gas tank was vapor locked I feel it's something with the vent hose. I also found my o ring in the tank..... What gas cap fits these bikes?

The issue is not the "gas" (fuel lol) cap but the one way valve in the breather hose.
On some it's the wrong way round and it fails also.
bikesparky

Postby wwguy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:50 am

bikesparky wrote:
18lstroup wrote:Ah hahh... After finding my gas tank was vapor locked I feel it's something with the vent hose. I also found my o ring in the tank..... What gas cap fits these bikes?

The issue is not the "gas" (fuel lol) cap but the one way valve in the breather hose.
On some it's the wrong way round and it fails also.

I'm pretty sure that the newer bikes now have the breather built into the gas cap. It's the green thingy that someone removed in the photo below:

Older bikes have the vent inline in the vent hose. The photo below shows the vent installed upside-down, which will create vapor lock:

wwguy

Return to Engine - 2 Stroke