Clutch fluid contamination

Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Clutch fluid contamination

Postby Jamie-L » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:30 am

Hi All, I've been lurking in in the background for a while but now I'm after some advice,

I've got a 2014 250rr and I'm having trouble with the clutch, after I bleed it it is fine for maybe 1 or 2 rides then the clutch starts to feel strange, when engaging from a standstill it sort of grabs then releases then grabs again, this movement can also be seen through the oil fill hole when pulling the clutch lever you can see the plates start to move, retract slightly then move further. The clutch oil turns a dark murky colour in this time.

My guess is air getting into the system somewhere but what are your thoughts? Where is the most likely place for the fluid contamination?

Thanks for your help
Jamie
Jamie-L

Re: Clutch fluid contamination

Postby Aviduser » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:25 am

I'd pull the slave cylinder off near the countershaft sprocket and inspect the seals or o-rings.

That's probably your most common issue, if thats fine it look into pulling master cylinder plunger/seals e.t.c. clean and reseat. Or rebuild if necessary.
Aviduser

Postby Jamie-L » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:56 pm

Thanks for the reply, I've inspected the slave cylinder and all looked ok there's no obvious damage to seals etc, I will look into stripping the master cylinder,

I noticed the diaphragm in the master cylinder cap is slightly swollen so I was wondering if water/moisture was potentially getting in there, I was just wondering if anyone had a similar experience and didnt want to start aimlessly replacing parts.

When I find the solution I will post back
Jamie-L

Postby pscook » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:32 pm

Check the basket for notches. It's common for the aluminum basket to wear with the steel plates rubbing during use. The plates will hang up and then "jump" out of the grooves.

If your clutch fluid is dirty then you should flush the lines and dismantle the master and slave cylinders and give them a good cleaning. Fluid doesn't circulate like an open loop system so there's a chance that dirt and sediment are caught in little spots.

I propose that clutch action and fluid contamination are unrelated because dirty fluid is just that and doesn't affect action, but grooves in the basket causes jerky motion and uneven engagement.
pscook

Postby betascott » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:00 pm

I had similar problem after I changed the fluid, turned out I had to replace the master cylinder
betascott

Postby Jamie-L » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:41 pm

Update... I used up all the motul 5000 oil I was using in the gearbox and decided to try ATF, the issue with the odd clutch action has gone away so it looks like it just didnt like that oil

Jamie
Jamie-L

Return to Engine - 2 Stroke