2023 300RR Oil Injection Line pinched by airbox boot clamp

Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

2023 300RR Oil Injection Line pinched by airbox boot clamp

Postby blackwidow » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:40 pm

Hello, fellow Beta fanatics! I have a 2023 Beta 300RR which I love! I bought it new last year, and it only has 18 hours on it. I'm heavy for the stock suspension so bought springs and took it to a "reputable" local suspension guy, who also does all other services as well. I had already purchased a JD jet kit, and asked him to "throw it in" for me to save me that hassle for a few bucks. He installed it and told me to "be careful", as it was much snappier than when he rode it before the jet kit....I've put JD in two other Beta's, a 2015 and 2019, so was stoked and ready to ride!

Picked up the bike Saturday and went immediately to the local off road park. I unloaded, aired up my tires, and cranked my bike. I choked it, so once cranked, popped off the choke and gave it soft blips to keep it running until it would idle (I don't run choke long). It died almost immediately. So I restarted it and let it run a little longer....let off the gas after a few blips (blips...not "revs"...I'm good to my stuff), and it died again. But not like it ran out of fuel or air when warming up, but sudden stop.

I cranked it up again and this time I heard what sounded pretty clearly like metal on metal, and did not start it again. I started looking, and the oil injection line is under the clamp clamping the airbox to the bike...it's getting NO OIL!

Immediately, I load back up and go back to the guy's house/shop, and he's reluctant to even come out to chat with me...that pissed me off...I'm a nice guy with a previously short fuse, but don't give me undeserved attitude...less than an hour after I dropped $1,000. I had suspension done on another bike, too, fyi. That one was half-ass assembled, btw, but that's another post or later in this one.

There was a conversation while unloading with his partner/mechanic, which I won't elaborate on at this moment, but should be noted. He, the Owner, says there's "no way" they could have done that, because you don't remove the carb to install the jet kit. He hypothesizes that the line was under there from the factory, just not squeezed down tight enough to starve it of oil, and all their twisting and cinching it back down must have been more than previous, and starved it.

While plausible, I find it very unlikely this could have been the case, as it ran fine for 18 hours. But it is "plausible", I suppose. I mean, if anybody would have that luck, it would be me, but has anyone else EVER heard of this? I can probably find a monkey juggling dynamite on the internet, but nothing about this ever happening.

The Owner of the shop told me to take it back to where I bought it and tell them about "Beta's mistake on this one." Anybody else ever had or heard of anything similar?

I started and rode it after getting the oil line free and it runs OK, but doesn't feel strong. I heard metal on metal, at the very second it stopped, like the piston immediately stopped when it got to metal on metal (I'm referring to previously, when it died initially...no more metal to metal sound once I got the oil flowing). He said he rode it "and it was smoking then", which I doubt he checked, but also which may have been my residual oil in the engine.

The Beta shop is going to open it up (excellent mechanic there) to assess, but I'm naturally pretty pissed. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this one...well, besides the obvious fact that this wouldn't have happened if I had gotten rid of oil injection...I already feel dumb enough.

Thanks!
blackwidow

Return to Engine - 2 Stroke