Radiator question

Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Radiator question

Postby redbone477 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:50 pm

About a week ago I rode my 300 around the yard for about 10 minutes or so. Put the bike back in the garage and left for vacation the next morning. When I get back there's a small puddle of antifreeze on the floor. Looked like it came from the overflow tube. So I top it off and go riding the next day, bike ran fine, no over heating or boil over to mention. So today after cleaning, I'm inspecting the bike and decide to check the level in the radiator. The bike was cold and had been sitting for over a day. When I removed the cap it had a little pressure on it and the level was low again. Is this normal or do I have something going on here?
redbone477

Re: Radiator question

Postby twowheels » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:33 pm

The normal level for the radiators cold is for the fluid to just cover the top of the internal fins. More than that and you will likely burp fluid.

if your trans fluid looks good then just monitor your levels. If you're worried about it you might consider removing the thermostat.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby redbone477 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:13 am

Can I use a 50/50 mix of antifreeze from an auto parts store or does it need to be motorcycle specific?
redbone477

Postby GMP » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:38 am

Auto antifreeze coolants typically have fine abrasive added to keep systems clean. It's evident if you put some in a clear container overnight. Used to be Toyota antifreeze did not. Perhaps things have changed but to avoid issues I just use Engine Ice. It's also polyethelene glycol base so safer being I have a couple dogs running around all the time. I drained out the factory fill, flushed with water, and reviled with EI before rode the bike. I don't beleive all the hype, but it's good stuff and available everywhere. In a year now my bike never lost a drop of coolant.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Mslow » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:35 pm

Glenn, you think EI is any better than Water Wetter? I used to run WW in my track bikes because you couldn't run antifreeze at a higher level...mainly because of how slippery it was when you crashed and left it on the track.
Just wondering if it's worth investing in EI or using up the WW I have.
2014 300rr
Mslow

Postby GMP » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:29 am

WW is fine, as is EI. I have EI in the bike now as I had some. WW may boil a bit easier but never had a problem with in in GGs., and its cool now too. The Beta seems to have a good system with no heat issues like some of the KTMs, anything would likely be good. Not sure about WW resistance to freezing however so be carefull this winter with storage.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Mslow » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:46 pm

GMP wrote:WW is fine, as is EI. I have EI in the bike now as I had some. WW may boil a bit easier but never had a problem with in in GGs., and its cool now too. The Beta seems to have a good system with no heat issues like some of the KTMs, anything would likely be good. Not sure about WW resistance to freezing however so be carefull this winter with storage.

Yeah, I'll likely drain off half and add antifreeze if it's going to sit for a few months. Hopefully we'll be riding all winter though.
2014 300rr
Mslow

Postby redbone477 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:57 pm

I'm still having problems with my radiator! Ever time I take the cap off, hot or cold it has pressure on it. I drained the oil and no sign of water/ antifreeze. Checked because my radiator level always seems to be low. Drained the radiator and flushed. There was some black looking residue floating in the antifreeze, not sure what. Anyway checked the overflow for plug, everything was fine. Refilled everything and went for ride. Let bike cool and went to take the cap off the radiator and boom, here it comes. Is it maybe a bad cap or something? Please advise.
redbone477

Postby redbone477 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:44 pm

Any body have any idea or experience with this problem?
redbone477

Postby Hammer » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:10 pm

Pull the head and check O rings.
Hammer

Next

Return to Engine - 2 Stroke