clutch shutters and squills under a load

Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Re: clutch shutters and squills under a load

Postby onegreyghost » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:56 pm

Sherco
Yes the Sherco vibrated more than my Beta and the 2015 KTM of my riding budy. Its hard to tell if it boiled or not because it has a over flow catch can behind the rear fender.

Beta Assembly
I would have to agree that its an isolated issue either created by a defective part or an assembly error but seems unfair to to be responsible for trouble shooting and identifying the root cause and then paying for the repair. I guess thats the price you pay for wanting to play the game. The good news it seems to be fixed for now and thats what really counts, that I get to ride.

I had a friend thats an engineer look at the clutch components and the only thing we could identify that was uncharistic was the judder spring looked contaminated with foreign material such as fiber plate material.
onegreyghost

Postby Enmerdeur » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:14 pm

$100 says Beta would have fixed at no cost if they found it was a mfg issue.
2017 KTM 450 XCF
2014 Beta 300 RR
Enmerdeur

Postby onegreyghost » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:40 pm

Well I disagree with Beta wanting warranty or fix anything and this why. During the second ride on the durn thing started spewing antifreeze from beneath the base gasket onto the left side of the exhaust pipe. I removed the cylinder and the base gasket was cut defective and covered the inner passage. I took pictures and sent it to AM Beta guess what they didn't even aplopgize for the obvious assembly snafu but then turned around and charged me for the base gasket. The dealer has been aware of both issues but his hands are tied and I dont believe he should be held responsible or lose money for a factory defect. I would be happy to speak with a beta representative but they want return a freakin call. Hey if you can get some where with them then be my guest.
onegreyghost

Postby Enmerdeur » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:49 pm

That's your dealers job to go to bat for you for warranty work. I guess you got a bad dealer.
2017 KTM 450 XCF
2014 Beta 300 RR
Enmerdeur

Postby GMP » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:33 pm

Clutch parts are funny things in that it's difficult to determine problems by visual inspection. My buddy's GasGas squealed and howled. We finally had to replace the basket with a Rekluse basket because it was coming apart and there was bad vibration and aluminum in the oil. What's interesting is that if you look at both baskets, it would appear that the OEM GG basket would provide more opportunity for oil migration through the clutch pack. Yet, the Rekluse basket ONLY solved all the problems. We even used the original plates except for one fiber that was contaminated with aluminum.

It could be something as simple as a weak spring(s), or a single part out of spec like the pressure plat that would affect total force or stack height.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby twowheels » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:36 pm

Enmerdeur wrote:That's your dealers job to go to bat for you for warranty work. I guess you got a bad dealer.

That's quite possibly it ... except without knowing everything that's gone on you can't really know for sure.

To quote a somewhat famous Mr. Gump ... "that's all I got to say about that". ;)
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby flybars » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:45 am

Sorry to hear about this. I'm surprised your dealer didn't back U. Was the bike a new hold over or have U been riding it for some time?
'14 300rr
flybars

Postby onegreyghost » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:23 am

The bike is a 2014 purchased new in 2013. The dealer is a great guy, I believe he done everything he could for me that is why I haven't bashed him on here or said who the dealer is because I don't want any negative publicity for him or damage his reputation when its really out of his hands and in AM Beta' court.
onegreyghost

Postby Calgarytrev » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:14 am

onegreyghost wrote:The bike is a 2014 purchased new in 2013. The dealer is a great guy, I believe he done everything he could for me that is why I haven't bashed him on here or said who the dealer is because I don't want any negative publicity for him or damage his reputation when its really out of his hands and in AM Beta' court.

Good on you brother, too many people go right after the dealer and give them a bad name and they may have done everything they could have done less pay for the problem out of pocket. I had the same problem with gasgas factory blew a motor die to bearing failure with 5 hours on bike and they would do nothing for me even though the pictures were obvious. The importer ended up buying me a new engine because he couldn't believe they wouldn't cover it. Sometimes it isn't the dealer and is the factory or importer
Calgarytrev

Postby Enmerdeur » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:26 am

Makes me want to go back to KTM.
2017 KTM 450 XCF
2014 Beta 300 RR
Enmerdeur

PreviousNext

Return to Engine - 2 Stroke