Gearbox oil

Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Gearbox oil

Postby bikesparky » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:39 pm

When I took delivery of my '16 300RR Racing my dealer told me to avoid synthetic oil in the gearbox.
He said that for some unknown reason the gearbox start to shift funny when using synthetic and then false neutrals appear later on.
All the bikes they service they stick to a mineral gearbox oil and they don't have problems.

Can anyone confirm this? I'm not talking about "I love synthetic coz it smells nice and improves my love life" but actually people who have ran either mineral or synthetic for a while in the gearbox with or without any problems.

I do love synthetic oil in engines and have been using it for years with excellent results and reliability for ages. I also know that in some trials bikes like the Gasgas it's not recommended to use synthetic, so I just want to know what the story is with Beta.
bikesparky

Re: Gearbox oil

Postby GMP » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:25 am

Sounds like BS to me. If the oil is clutch compatible and a reasonable viscosity it really doesn't matter much what you use if you change it often. What can change with oils is the feel of the clutch.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Johnno » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:42 am

I consider the Beta gearbox an intriguing thing. I personally find nothing false about the neutral between 3rd and 4th yet I can"t discover the real neutral with a compass and an forensic science team.

I find NOW my clutch works perfectly and the gears shift well but if I told you what oil I use I'd have to kill you.
Loose...
Johnno

Postby DirtDogger300 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:05 am

"Sounds like BS to me. If the oil is clutch compatible and a reasonable viscosity it really doesn't matter much what you use if you change it often. What can change with oils is the feel of the clutch."

I tend to strongly believe what GMP is saying here and will offer my experiences:

I've ran the Redline 10W40 the entire time since owning it in 2015 in my 2014 300RR. This is probably about 60-80 hours of use so far on a bike that had about 70+ hours total when I got it. I have only hit a false neutral between 3rd and 4th gear once last year but believe it was my fault for making such a light shift at the lever. I struggle to get a good positive push on the gearshift lever in some situations and am going to try the shorter CRF250 lever (Moose or MSR) to help me make more positive shifts.

If you look through the forum some guys with years of racing experience appear to be running the relatively inexpensive Rotella and changing it out very frequently with no issues.

I will readily admit that I'm probably paying more than I need to get the performance and protection I want but I've been running Redline oils in my gearboxes and premix on all my bikes for quite a while now with great results so I see no reason to change but I typically only ride on weekends for a few hours each ride so it's not a major expense for me.
Last edited by DirtDogger300 on Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
2014 Beta 300rr Race Edition
2005 Yamaha YZ250
1993 Suzuki RM250
DirtDogger300

Postby webmaster » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:22 am

To add more to the confusion - some synthetics are highly refined mineral oils.. :D

You can't go wrong with Rotella T6 synthetic - has highest JASO rating for motorcycle use. Wet clutch compatible...

Rotella 15w40 dino oil works just fine too in many applications - also JASO rated oil.

jeff
Webmaster
Beta Riders Club
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby GMP » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:51 am

With regard to false neutrals, check your shifter tip. I was experiencing increased missed shifts and thought something was up internally. Same Rotella T6 oil since new. Shifter tip pivot was worn allowing too much play. You don't feel it through the boot, and the Beta takes a little more through than a Jap bike or a GG. Changed shifter, problem solved.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby NZMarkb » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:01 pm

I'm with the others "BS" (I ride exactly the same bike as you)
I've used Motul Trans Oil and Trans Oil dExpert for the last 25 years
I my experience most false neutrals come from the rider or shift lever position
Buy the best oil you can afford :D :D
Last edited by NZMarkb on Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If your not willing to stand behind our troops
Then try standing in front of them
NZMarkb

Postby Lonesome Dave » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:03 pm

I have an antique 400rr (2012) that I just changed the oil in the tranny. I took out Rotella 15-40 and put in what both a dealer and another mx shop recommended; Maxima full syn. oil. On the very next ride, I started having problems finding neutral or clutch dragging, basically had to shut it off. Adjusted lever a little, and it helped some. So now I'm going back to the basic oil to see what happens. Or maybe try what "Webmaster" says for oil. But, I still could have other problems.
Older - Wiser - Faster !
Lonesome Dave

Postby merlin » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:14 pm

I have a 2016 300rr with about 18 hours of mostly technical riding. I run about 900ml of Motul trans oil expert (synth) and it shifts sweet. It has made a clunk here and there, but 99.99% of the time it's flawless. I have no issues there. It finds N easily when cold/hot/stationary/etc. I've never had a false N scenario occur.

I asked my Beta importer about running mineral oils, and he said, it's not an issue but in his experience found the Motul just has a better feel.
merlin

Postby Johnno » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:15 pm

I use Delo 15w 40 in my 300rr gearbox and my Drz. The Suzuki LOVES it. The beta clutch likes it too.

The false neutral between 3rd and 4th is operator error in my case, bumping the lever with oversized left foot.
Loose...
Johnno

Next

Return to Engine - 2 Stroke