'17 300 - Flaky Computer and Oil Inject Problem

Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Re: '17 300 - Flaky Computer and Oil Inject Problem

Postby Ock » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:34 pm

Hi guys,
Toatally new to the 2-smokers but have just got a 2017 300rr. I had the same problem. While installing a new longer clutch line (installed Scotts SUB mount and a Clake and stock line is too short) I noticed a good 4 to 5cm of air in the oil injection line. I called the dealer (who has been really helpful with everything so far) to ask if there was a problem and he said there is not normally air there but a few revs should move it along pretty quick. When I next rolled it out I gave it a few blips on the throttle but no bubble movement, so then with it still running I pulled the seat off and took the cap off, then a few blips and the bubble went and heap of smoke out the back. At this stage I was convinced it was some sort of vapour lock. The disturbing part is the oil bottle was almost the same level, so almost no oil was consumed for the previous 65km ride, lucky there was still some premix in the tank.

At this stage I emailed the dealer. When I looked at the lid noted it wasn't vented. Because I was convinced that was the problem I put a 1mm hole in the cap as I was riding the following day. Dealer then got back to me and told me the vent line goes out the back of the tank to a brass fitting near the sub-frame. Dammit -drilled a hole in the cap for nothing, just as well Beta parts are cheap, looked up new lid - only $5.61 - happy days.

Anyway I pulled the panels off and discovered the vent line was crushed between a structural fin on the black guard over the rear wheel and the sub-frame. I twisted the brass outlet a different direction and re-routed the tube and ride 3 proceed with proper oil consumption again.

Hope this helps.
Attachments
tube.jpg
Witness mark on crushed vent tube
tube.jpg (143.36 KiB) Viewed 9223 times
vent.jpg
Arrow shows where it was crushed
vent.jpg (170.97 KiB) Viewed 9223 times
Ock

Postby McKay » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:22 am

Great find! Thank for the heads up.
McKay

Postby mynextlife » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:44 pm

Thanks for posting, I'll check mine even though I've already put four or five tanks of oil through it.

Just a heads up, ALWAYS fill the oil tank before a ride because the oil light is not bright on the computer and if like me you happened to be smashing 80k's of sand whoops in the middle of a sunny day, you're not looking at your dash at all because you're concentrating on the task at hand. Didn't notice that my oil tank was empty (still oil in the tube) until I washed it that night. Luckily there wasn't 85k's or things may have been a little different.
mynextlife

Postby Cactus Jack » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:19 am

That is a great find, well done.

I have done over 220 km's now and haven't used even half a tank of oil on my 2017 250RR. No air gaps in the oil line though and no indicators on the dash telling me things aren't going to plan. I will now, however, check the oil line and ensure there is no issues with it.

On the flip side of this conversation though my dash is no good and is on my second battery and keeps resetting the total km's. Pain in the ass, but not much I can do.
Cactus Jack

Postby wwguy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:37 am

Don't overestimate the self-diagnostic and warning capabilities of the oil injection controller. The controller circuit is an open loop design that receives no feedback verifying that oil is present and flowing at the expected rate.

Your engine will happily continue to run until Bad Things happen if any of the following occur:
- No oil in the tank.
- Crimped vent line.
- Crimped oil line.
- Disconnected oil line.
- Mechanical failure in pump operation.
- Blockage in any line or port.

The "mixer system indicator light" merely verifies that the OI controller, pump, and TPS sensor are connected to each other electrically and receiving expected signals such as TPS position. It has no means of determining if oil is actually present or flowing.
wwguy

Postby robw122 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:04 pm

Just because it's a new bike, I have time and I'm a bit OCD, I wandered out to the garage to look at my 17 250.

Image[/url]

Image[/url]

Image[/url]

Image[/url]

this is not an acceptable thing on a brand new bike. I have 18 miles on it from an indoor MX track this last weekend. the first tank had premix in it.
I got a dremel and ground the ridge on the inner fender away so the line has clearance now. It's late here to run the bike, I'll try it in the morning to confirm it's moving oil.
robw122

Postby robw122 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:15 pm

I emailed American Beta with the pictures and a link to this thread. I'll share any response I receive.
robw122

Postby MorePaint » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:27 pm

I've had my My 2017 300rr for 3 days, it has 40km on it.

The oil injection is not pumping after the first ride.. lol

The line was pinched in the same place that Robw122 posted.

I pulled the line out and un-pinched it there, still No flow.

Dropping it back at the dealer tomorrow for them to deal with.

40km.. :roll:
MorePaint

Postby robw122 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:55 pm

mine is still moving no oil. No idea if the crimped line burned the pump up.It's also going back to the dealer. I've confirmed power to the pump, but it's not pumping. I pulled the line off of the intake and sucked oil to within 1 inch of the end, nothing. Disconnected the line at the pump and ran the bike to see if it would pump straight out of the pump, nothing. This isn't confidence inspiring...

Below is the word for word, copy and paste reply from American Beta, Tim Pilg.

This left me at a loss for words.

Hello Robert,

Welcome to the Beta family. I am sorry that the bike had this issue and am happy you found it before there was any engine damage. You can bring your bike to your dealer to have them replace the oil line.
Again, we are sorry about the issue as we really do work hard on our quality at the production line. Maybe one of our workers had too much pasta that day.

Sincerely,
robw122

Postby AlwynMike » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:37 am

At least someone has a sense of humour!

Had to check my XT as it uses very little oil. It's my first ever 2 stroke in 40-odd years of riding, so it's all a little new!
Happily for me, my breather line is good, but I can see where it can easily get crimped.

It is now an opportunity for me to replace the rear light. With less than 30 hours of running, I'm down to 1 led on the tail and 3 Leds on the brake. Obviously doesn't like English mud :D

Oh, and my computer is playing silly devil's too. The clock is so erratic it's amazing, but it then resets itself to the right time!
AlwynMike

PreviousNext

Return to Engine - 2 Stroke