Oil pump - use it or not use it? - this is a question

Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Oil pump - use it or not use it? - this is a question

Postby ice » Tue May 16, 2017 1:34 pm

Hello everyone,

I am Beta 250 rr my2016 owner and i was wondering how the oil pump works? Is it reliable in hard enduro riding or is it better to remove it?
Has someone wrecked engine couse of not working pump? What is the mix ratio if i want to put in gas tank? Is it 50:1 or 60:1?

Thx

M
ice

Re: Oil pump - use it or not use it? - this is a question

Postby wwguy » Tue May 16, 2017 2:13 pm

How it works:
1) Electric TPS on the carburetor sends throttle position to ECU.
2) ECU reads throttle position and sends variable speed signal to PWM oil pump according to pre-programmed map in the ECU.
3) Variable speed oil pump meters oil according to ECU map between 100:1 (low RPM) and 32:1 (high RPM.)

All components are electrically operated and interconnected. If the ECU detects lack of connection it triggers a warning relay which lights a warning light on the speedometer display. There is no actual verification that oil is flowing out of the pump and there are several scenarios where the oil pump doesn't pump oil and the ECU doesn't know it. Most common reasons seem to be blocked lines, corrosion or other failure of rectifiers or capacitors responsible for steady clean voltage supply required for OI to work, and bad or wrong ECU installed on the bike.

Here are a few previous threads you may find interesting. I've read other similar stories like these on other Beta forums and Facebook groups.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1926
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1922
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2068

It's great when it works, but in general appears to be a fairly fragile multi-component design dependent on an electrical system that seems to have its own problems with failure. Personally I don't trust it.

The 2015 250/300 RR Owner's Manual suggests 60:1 (1.6%) premix ratio. I run 40:1 in my 2016 Xtrainer 300.
wwguy

Postby oldman » Tue May 16, 2017 6:52 pm

I put 425 hrs on my 2015 Xtrainer with zero problems with the oil injection. I now own a 2017 300RR. I have removed the oil injection on it, even though I have not had a problem, and went to premix because of some of the horror stories I kept hearing about it failing.
Current rides, 21 Beta 200RR, 19 Beta 500rrs, 01 Honda 200r, 99 GasGas TXT321, 82 Yamaha YZ490, 83 Yamaha YZ250, 59 Harley Davidson ST165,
Past rides to long to list.
oldman

Postby ice » Wed May 17, 2017 12:57 am

Thx a lot.
Could you give me a clue how to dismentle oil pump?

Thx
ice

Postby wwguy » Wed May 17, 2017 2:28 pm

Instructions for removing oil injection are in this guide that comes with an Oil Injection Removal Kit that Beta sells for this purpose.

You don't need the kit if you're comfortable plugging the injection port in the intake manifold and leaving the TPS on the carburetor. You can just disconnect the wires at the connectors and optionally remove the oil tank, pump, and lines.
wwguy

Postby ice » Thu May 18, 2017 12:28 am

Thank you. Definitely i Will not use the kit. So basiclly i must disconect cables in the air box form the pump, disconect sending unit and put out grey cable which is behind the lamp?
Did i understand it correctly?

M
ice

Postby Mikhail » Thu May 18, 2017 9:00 am

I have destroyed my top end due to pump malfunction...never again. And although my next bike will most likely be orange, i wont go for 2018 TPI models for sure...who would want all that junk that can go wrong and leave you on a trail up in the mountains far from civilization...
Mikhail

Postby wwguy » Thu May 18, 2017 9:40 am

ice wrote:Thank you. Definitely i Will not use the kit. So basiclly i must disconect cables in the air box form the pump, disconect sending unit and put out grey cable which is behind the lamp?
Did i understand it correctly?

Close. I'd do it something like this:
  • Empty the oil tank and disconnect the oil line from the metal port in the intake manifold.
  • Cap or plug the metal oil port in the intake manifold. I'd probably use a vacuum line cap and maybe a small zip tie to ensure it stays in place. Some have removed the port altogether and sealed the intake manifold with fuel-friendly goop, but that's a bit more permanent solution. (Personally I bought the OI removal kit for the intake manifold with no OI port.)
  • Disconnect the electrical connectors for oil pump, oil tank level, and TPS sensor on the carb.
  • Tie the harness ends of the disconnected electrical connectors out of the way.
  • Remove the gray wire from the speedometer connector to disable the OI warning light.
  • On mine I also completely removed the oil tank, pump, and vent lines from the bike.
wwguy

Postby Bi66badjohn » Sat May 20, 2017 6:43 pm

I'm personally looking at doing this also as I feel the bike is getting too much oil. Didn't really want to spend $120 on a removal kit. Sounds easy enough.
Bi66badjohn

Postby Black-swan » Sun May 21, 2017 6:52 am

Is there much of a weight saving removing the system? Has been working fine on my 300rr 17, done around 40 hours
Black-swan

Next

Return to Engine - 2 Stroke