locked on full throttle

Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

locked on full throttle

Postby Diekatze » Tue May 22, 2018 1:29 pm

Something strange happened. In a race with plenty of mud, after 30 minutes racing and accelerating at 3/4 gas, no more, suddenly the bike kept going like if I was full throttle. Scared, pulled the clutch and it over reved, thought it was going to blow. Moved the throttle thinking it was locked but no response. Had to kill switch it to full stop. Fast check, no harmed cable or anything. Started it with no problems, ride OK and 30 minutes later...again, , and then... again... 3 times on a single race! :?: :?:
No visible damage anywhere, no locked cable, no locked throttle.... she just "kept going"...
The most bizarre part was killing it, and startin like nothing ever happened without touching anything.....
May be a spooky carb issue? I really have no idea, tomorrow I´m taking the carb off but I´m intrigued.... :cry:
Diekatze

Re: locked on full throttle

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Tue May 22, 2018 1:38 pm

Sounds like a binding throttle cable.. in mud races stuff usually happens. Youll find out when you clean up and take apart. Were you turning when the throttle raised?
hawaiidirtrider

Postby Diekatze » Tue May 22, 2018 1:43 pm

hawaiidirtrider wrote:Sounds like a binding throttle cable.. in mud races stuff usually happens. Youll find out when you clean up and take apart. Were you turning when the throttle raised?

I cleaned it and fond nothing strange with the cable. The thing is that I wasnt full throttle and locked there, see? And then, killed it, re-started and it was ok....

First time I was starting to brake for a slow turn... missed the curve and ended in the bush.
Second and third time was starting to accelerate straight... If it happened on a turn that whould have been another story :roll:
Diekatze

Postby liberse » Tue May 22, 2018 4:41 pm

Check your needle to see if the surface is scratched, often stuck throttle is caused by dirt particle (sand) fiding its way between the needle and the needle jet assembly.
When it happens it will often leave marks on the needle outer surface and require its replacement.

Hope this helps.
Liberse
liberse

Postby redbone477 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:55 pm

Safety wire the throttle cable where it goes into the top of the carb.
redbone477

Postby robw122 » Wed May 23, 2018 7:10 am

take the throttle housing apart at the handlebar. look very closely at the little wheel assembly where the cable comes in and connects to the tube. where the cable comes off the wheel and over the little metal cutout to the tube, they wear, they can get a small burr that acts like a tiny fork and can grab the cable and hold it. clean in up with a dremel. the others suggesting dirt on the needle or slide are good checks as well.
robw122

Postby Hyde » Wed May 23, 2018 9:24 pm

I had a throttle stick on the face of a jump at Millville a couple years ago, bike would have scored a 9.6 in the Olympics for flips, when it landed it snapped the handle bars off, anyway,,,, turned out it was the motion pro throttle tube looked the same but after awhile it developed a notch that eventually wedged in at a really bad time, if your using an after market throttle tube check it.

I have a rule on bikes that the throttle sticks "" SELL IT"" , its the same as a cheating wife, it's always in the back of your mind and it's just waiting for the perfect time to stab you in the back, just move on and be happy.
23' 430RE
23' 250RE
21' 350RE
20', 200rr, gone
20', 250rr, Ye-haw !
18', 250rr,gone
18' 125rr, KYB forks, gone
16' 250rr, KYB forks-sold
15' 250rr RE-sold
14' 450rr, gone
14' 250rr-sold
14' 450rr KYB forks.
Hyde

Postby Silverfox » Thu May 24, 2018 1:34 am

A drop of water on the slide will cause the slide to stick. Once you kill the engine, the vacume from the motor ceases, and the slide drops to closed position. Seen it many times and had my 300 do it 2 days after I washed it. I was 3 mins into a ride. Bit scary
Silverfox

Postby Ed Lew » Thu May 24, 2018 3:49 am

Check for air leaks around carb and barrel. This can cause engine to rev flat out even with a closed throttle.
Ed Lew

Postby Diekatze » Thu May 24, 2018 9:35 am

Installed the safety wire on top of the carb (IMO that must have been the issue)
Disassembled and cleaned the complete throttle assembly
Inspected slide and needle, no dirt, no scratches. Lubricated the slide and tps mechanism

The water making the slide stick is reasonable, it was a very wet and muddy long race.

The throttle runs smoother than new. Hope this is it, never want that feeling again.

Thank you all.
Diekatze

Next

Return to Engine - 2 Stroke