Starter spinning but not kicking bendix out.

Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Re: Starter spinning but not kicking bendix out.

Postby advrider » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:42 pm

My 2018 300RR did this to me today. My battery has the push button test on it, and checks good. It was about 40 deg F outside, and motor was cold. Starter just spun, without engaging. Took several stabs at the start button and finally engaged and started bike. No more issues the rest of the of riding. Anyone have any ideas on this or experienced it on a 2018? Bike only has about 20 hours on it.
2018 Beta 300 RR
2008 Beta 450 RS
2009 BMW F800 GS
2009 KTM 450 XC (ATV)
advrider

Re: Starter spinning but not kicking bendix out.

Postby NW_250RR » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:32 pm

advrider wrote:My 2018 300RR did this to me today. My battery has the push button test on it, and checks good. It was about 40 deg F outside, and motor was cold. Starter just spun, without engaging. Took several stabs at the start button and finally engaged and started bike. No more issues the rest of the of riding. Anyone have any ideas on this or experienced it on a 2018? Bike only has about 20 hours on it.

Pretty normal with Lithium batteries when cold. The push test on top isn't always accurate. Ive had bad batteries light up all 3 indicators and still be toast. After my last lithium went out I just went back to the standard lead-acid battery and have had zero issues since. I got in the habit of kick starting my bike the first start of every ride, be it warm or cold outside. Once the bike is warm, the lithium battery shouldn't have an issue starting the bike.
NW_250RR

Previous

Return to Engine - 2 Stroke