A, b, or c piston

Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

A, b, or c piston

Postby 18lstroup » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:56 am

My 2017 300rr has 78 hours. Planning on top end at 100. How do I determine what piston size I need? Is it stamped on the bike or do I need to measure the cylinder?
18lstroup

Re: A, b, or c piston

Postby mtdirtbag » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:13 pm

Unless you're racing 100 hours seems premature for a piston change, but if that is your usual practice it's your call. Beta piston kits come in letter sizes of A,B,C & D with A being stock size, most replace with the next size larger but are usually going more hours. I would think you could just pull it down and re-ring it along with cleaning the power valve. I'm at 180 hours and it will get top end redone this winter, power still seems very good - I'm also going to have the head done while I have it down.
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Postby Darkside » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:03 pm

pull your power valve cover. the piston size is stamped on the cylinder
Randy
2018 390 rrs, 2014 300 rr re, 2010 ktm 450 exc
Darkside

Postby mtdirtbag » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:18 pm

Darkside wrote:pull your power valve cover. the piston size is stamped on the cylinder

Thanks for that, I'll need that this winter.

Tom
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Postby 18lstroup » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:05 am

Should I just order the size piston that is stamped on my cover? or do I still need to measure it?
18lstroup

Postby aj_mariner » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:37 am

I was told by a dealer that you just go by the stamp on the cylinder. The dealer’s thought was that if it requires a larger piston then you are close to wearing out the nikasil coating. A local machinist suggested that the nikasil is only 0.003-0.004” thick.

I am pretty sure the engine repair manual says to measure and choose accordingly. This seems to be standard practice and there are some on here who have increased piston sizes with no reported adverse affects.

For me, I am close to 200hours and plan to measure the bore, inspect the cross hatching, worry about and overthink it for a day, then most likely follow the manual.

When in doubt, email Beta USA directly.
‘17 300 RE - gone
‘22 300 RE
aj_mariner

Postby wwguy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:11 am

18lstroup wrote:Should I just order the size piston that is stamped on my cover? or do I still need to measure it?

As mentioned above, Beta pistons are available in 3 diameters. Not sure about your specific RR model, but on my 2016 300 Xtrainer they are :
"A" is between 71.935 and 71.945 mm
"B" is between 71.945 and 71.955 mm
"C" is between 71.955 and 71.965 mm

Beta's shop manual call for 0.1 mm of play between cylinder and piston. On new engines the cylinder and piston are matched with like sizes (usually "A") which provide this clearance out of the box.

On your rebuild your goal is the same as when building a new engine: To match piston and cylinder with appropriate free play between them. To do this you have several strategy options:
1) If you know the piston and cylinder have minimal wear (i.e. preventative maintenance) you can make an educated guess whether a new "A" piston will snugly fit an "A" cylinder with 100 hours, or
2) If you suspect cylinder wear due to long hours, hard riding, OI system failure, poor air filter maintenance etc. (i.e. corrective maintenance) you should probably have the cylinder professionally inspected and measured before determining which piston to use, or
3) Some riders that know the piston and cylinder are worn just opt to go up one size on the piston and call it good.

Bottom line is that the piston and cylinder need to be inspected and/or measured before determining a definitive action. None of us can tell you what you need for sure because we don't know anything about the condition of your top end.

For what it's worth here's my most recent experience:
I changed my Xtrainer piston at 140 hours as a preventative maintenance activity. The old piston still had good compression but I wanted to swap it out before riding another season of 60 to 80 hours. After removing and inspecting it I could see that it was in very good shape. So I chose to replace it with another "A" piston and it's been working great for 70 hours or so. In hindsight I'm confident that I could have waited until 200 hours to change it.
wwguy

Postby Motumatai » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:50 pm

My Beta RR300 Racing was gently broken in by doing 22 hours in the Gold class, Romaniacs back in 2014 :lol: :lol: :lol:
I then purchased the bike and took it to 244 hours. Lots of single track, no racing, lots of tractoring in gnarly terrain. The bike just lapped it up.
At about 180 hours I started to feel a bit of a lack of power (or was that me getting more in tune with how to ride the bike!)
Several times (mainly when the pipe came off to pop out dings) I checked out the bore via the exhaust port. All looked good.
I took the compression immediately prior to tearing down. 165psi cold 8-)
Popped in a 'B' size piston and rings and way we go again. Back to its braaaping usual self :D . Cross hatching was still at about 75%. No scuff marks on the bore. Very pleased.
Take the left hand side power valve cover off, use a shop rag with break clean to wipe off the gunge and you will see an 'A' stamped there (80% of the time it'll be an A).
Getting an accurate measurement of bore wear with guages is extremely difficult unless you do it every day. The tiny differences will be difficult for an amateur to pick up, even with all the right tools.
Though it all depends on what work the bike has done, and how its been treated, you could either let her go to 2 hundy and go up one piston size, or follow the book and replace like for like at 100. Me, I'd rather spend that 300 bucks on travel gas and riding gas and enjoy my bike than replace stuff way before its due.
Racing your 2 stroke? just follow the manufacturers recommendations.
Motumatai

Postby 18lstroup » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:19 pm

The main reason I am thinking of rebuilding it is because I work at a dealership and can get an new prox piston kit for 125 with my discount.
18lstroup

Postby LRM » Thu May 16, 2019 9:49 am

Question to all of the commenter above. Are you getting these kind of hours with or without OI? I wish to put a Lectron on my XT and it requires removing the OI. Just wondering what my experience my be.
The only time you need he 2nd Amendment, is when someone comes to take I away!
LRM

Next

Return to Engine - 2 Stroke