A, b, or c piston

Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Re: A, b, or c piston

Postby mtdirtbag » Thu May 16, 2019 11:41 am

2014 no oi, run Torco GP7 @ 40:1, premium no ethanol.
Last edited by mtdirtbag on Thu May 16, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Re: A, b, or c piston

Postby wwguy » Thu May 16, 2019 12:49 pm

LRM wrote:Question to all of the commenter above. Are you getting these kind of hours with or without OI? I wish to put a Lectron on my XT and it requires removing the OI. Just wondering what my experience my be.

Generally speaking the piston has a better chance of lasting longer without OI. Beta's OI was introduced to reduce oil consumption as much as possible to comply with strict Euro 4 emissions standards. OI offers nothing to increase or ensure engine performance, reliability, or longevity, and Beta has never claimed differently. OI is also known to occasionally fail, which has obvious negative consequences for piston life.

Below is my original piston next to a new one after 140 hours running AMSOIL Dominator and Interceptor oil at 40:1 and 50:1 (I changed oils and ratios at around 80 hours) through a Lectron carb. The original piston still looked near-new. I could have easily run it for another 100 hours or so but chose to replace it since I already had the top end apart. As long as compression and engine performance are good I won't inspect it again until at least another 200 hours.

wwguy

Previous

Return to Engine - 2 Stroke