Anyone have feedback on the RKtek head?

Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Re: Anyone have feedback on the RKtek head?

Postby SaulGoodman » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:39 pm

aj_mariner wrote:I need to revise my comment above about it just being ok. I had just finished riding all day with friends two days before, where she was jetted just about perfect on the stock head. Switching to the RK Tek head and having to learn it’s needs kind of ticked me off enough that I was paying too much attention to that. Today was the second day trying to iron out the wrinkles but played a little more. The extra torque is a lot of fun. I have increased pilot, needle, and main to the next size up and still am lean in a spot causing engine run on after putting it to work. Watching others YouTube videos, listening to their engines, makes me think others have the same issue. I have the N8RG needle coming (recommended by Kels) and am hoping it’s a step in the right direction. However, this is going to murder my mpg. The stock head will probably go back on for longer trips.

RK recommendation for my 15 300 was

172 Main
N8RG needle (2015 Husky TE300 stock needle)set in the middle clip
40 pilot

Using this setting plus RK head resulted in 10-12 mpg. Got same with stock head. The rk head will not save a drop of fuel despite the marketing claims.
SaulGoodman

Postby aj_mariner » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:05 pm

Received the N8R_ series of needles today. I was curious how close they compared to the N2Z_ series. It looks like a double taper needle with the tapers slightly below the N2Z_ needles by about half a clip. This is great because there is no N2ZG needle. The NEC_ needles have the first taper starting after the N8R_ needles, but the second taper starting before the N2Z_ and N8R_. Here’s a picture for clarification.

B2874BC2-B848-4241-98E2-FFC329FCD004.jpeg
B2874BC2-B848-4241-98E2-FFC329FCD004.jpeg (70.9 KiB) Viewed 6583 times
‘17 300 RE - gone
‘22 300 RE
aj_mariner

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:02 pm

Bump

Any more feedback here?
hawaiidirtrider

Postby SaulGoodman » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:49 pm

hawaiidirtrider wrote:Bump

Any more feedback here?

Seeking to further validate your purchase a little?
SaulGoodman

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:41 pm

SaulGoodman wrote:
hawaiidirtrider wrote:Bump

Any more feedback here?

Seeking to further validate your purchase a little?

Don’t need validation. I got one. I was tired of hearing bull shit from those that don’t know what they’re talking about. I was researching these heads for a few years before deciding to buy and been riding with it on my 300 rr. Now that I already have mine in the configuration I ordered I’d like to see what others have done for tuning. It’s still not necessarily relevant for me unless guys have the same head setup I have and ride what I ride . Did you need validation for your purchase before posting here?
hawaiidirtrider

Postby HRRacing » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:48 am

First ride with RK head on '15 250RR. It wasn't one of my "normal" rides. Pretty flat and easy riding. So hard to judge as of yet.

Little bit of history, I had a RB Designs milled stock head. It performed very well but I wanted a little more and the additional cooling.

So far, I think it's as advertised. I was able to ride a gear higher. I was able to be in the higher gear, almost come to a complete stop and go again without any clutch work or stalling. Before I had to use clutch in tight corners. Not now. Almost like having an autoclutch.

It did change my jetting quite a bit. I was clean and linear before but now blubbery and rich. I will have to play with jetting.

To be honest, it's a little weird being a higher gear. Not sure if I like it. But I've got a lot more riding and tuning to do before I decide if I like it or not.
HRRacing

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:27 pm

HRRacing wrote:First ride with RK head on '15 250RR. It wasn't one of my "normal" rides. Pretty flat and easy riding. So hard to judge as of yet.

Little bit of history, I had a RB Designs milled stock head. It performed very well but I wanted a little more and the additional cooling.

So far, I think it's as advertised. I was able to ride a gear higher. I was able to be in the higher gear, almost come to a complete stop and go again without any clutch work or stalling. Before I had to use clutch in tight corners. Not now. Almost like having an autoclutch.

It did change my jetting quite a bit. I was clean and linear before but now blubbery and rich. I will have to play with jetting.

To be honest, it's a little weird being a higher gear. Not sure if I like it. But I've got a lot more riding and tuning to do before I decide if I like it or not.

Thanks! I wanted more cooling aswell and also liked the ability to change domes possibly if I felt like it in the future. My head works well now . It’s as sold to be. It’s also got a gear higher power and more power throughout the range and still smooth. Still I haven’t done any tuning. Well a bigger pilot. 40. . It’s good but if if it can be better than that’s even better. I can always go back to how it is now. Interesting how you’ve mentioned RB head cut. I never tried that but heard references to it.
hawaiidirtrider

Postby aj_mariner » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:33 pm

Took her out after getting it pretty dialed. The morning was 10degF cooler than I expected, and the bike was so crisp that 3rd gear wanted to rip my arms off.
‘17 300 RE - gone
‘22 300 RE
aj_mariner

Previous

Return to Engine - 2 Stroke