Disconnected oil pump (16 plate RR300 2T)

Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Disconnected oil pump (16 plate RR300 2T)

Postby Morganjo54 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:16 pm

Hi,

Im new to this so here goes...

So after my bike riding poorly for the past 3-4 outings i did my research and found out that the oil injector on the RR300 is very temperamental and so i have done what i think necessary to be able to bypass the pump and and mix direct in to the tank.

This is what i did...

1- removed the blue electrical connector plug from the oil pump
2 - taped up the connector and left under seat
3 - removed oil line from the pump and from the manifold nipple (protected nipple with short off cut of the oil line and folded over and zip-tied)

Should this now be good to run with premix in the tank and start running properly again or is there more i need to do?

can someone show me where the oil level sensor is and the TPS sensor connector is as well so that i can turn off the warnings on the screen.

Cheers!

Morgan
Morganjo54

Re: Disconnected oil pump (16 plate RR300 2T)

Postby wwguy » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:46 am

These PDF instructions for Beta's Oil Injection Removal Kit have all the info you're looking for.

The oil low-level warning light is disabled by disconnecting the electrical connector near the oil tank.

When the ECU sees the oil pump and/or TPS are unplugged it turns on the OI system failure warning light. The instructions above explain how to identify and remove the warning light wire near the speedo.
wwguy

Postby Gibnut » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:11 pm

The bike - 2018 RR300 -was sounding lean on decel riding back to the cars after a ride Sunday. I wanted check the oil line for flow & I’m glad I had a good look at the condition of the OI array. I took the oil tank out this arvo & noticed it had been leaking a bit from the base oil line (before the pump) into the air box. There were also air bubbles in the line (while in situ) & when I emptied the tank, the Motul 710 (from a brand new container) was the colour of 10hr old gear box oil. HTF can a sealed tank allow dirt ingress? I’ve probably been feeding the bike shittty oil for a while - not happy. Glad the internals looked ok 10hrs ago - hope they do now!

Unplugged the tps sensor & oil pump, crimped & sealed the oil line at the manifold. Tested the bike, no lean condition signs - high or hanging idle, etc. Going 50/1 Motul 710 pre-mix for now.
Gibnut

Postby wwguy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:11 am

Gibnut wrote:The bike - 2018 RR300 -was sounding lean on decel riding back to the cars after a ride Sunday. I wanted check the oil line for flow & I’m glad I had a good look at the condition of the OI array. I took the oil tank out this arvo & noticed it had been leaking a bit from the base oil line (before the pump) into the air box. There were also air bubbles in the line (while in situ) & when I emptied the tank, the Motul 710 (from a brand new container) was the colour of 10hr old gear box oil. HTF can a sealed tank allow dirt ingress? I’ve probably been feeding the bike shittty oil for a while - not happy. Glad the internals looked ok 10hrs ago - hope they do now!

Unplugged the tps sensor & oil pump, crimped & sealed the oil line at the manifold. Tested the bike, no lean condition signs - high or hanging idle, etc. Going 50/1 Motul 710 pre-mix for now.

Glad to hear you got it sorted out before Bad Things happened. But I have to confess to being a bit confused about your description of the problem. It sounds like you felt the bike was running lean, which led you to discover no or low oil flow. Less oil means more fuel in the liquid portion of the fuel/air mixture, which would make the bike run richer... not leaner. Same as when swapping from 40:1 to 50:1 or 60:1 premix etc.
wwguy

Postby Trail Rider » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:24 am

wwguy wrote:
Gibnut wrote:The bike - 2018 RR300 -was sounding lean on decel riding back to the cars after a ride Sunday. I wanted check the oil line for flow & I’m glad I had a good look at the condition of the OI array. I took the oil tank out this arvo & noticed it had been leaking a bit from the base oil line (before the pump) into the air box. There were also air bubbles in the line (while in situ) & when I emptied the tank, the Motul 710 (from a brand new container) was the colour of 10hr old gear box oil. HTF can a sealed tank allow dirt ingress? I’ve probably been feeding the bike shittty oil for a while - not happy. Glad the internals looked ok 10hrs ago - hope they do now!

Glad to hear you got it sorted out before Bad Things happened. But I have to confess to being a bit confused about your description of the problem. It sounds like you felt the bike was running lean, which led you to discover no or low oil flow. Less oil means more fuel in the liquid portion of the fuel/air mixture, which would make the bike run richer... not leaner. Same as when swapping from 40:1 to 50:1 or 60:1 premix etc.

Thats a good catch. Causes of lean vs rich condition is likely the most misunderstood issue with 2-smokes. The key is jetting correctly for your oil mixture ratio & riding conditions. Like you said; all things being mostly equal, more oil = leaner, less oil = richer. As a side note; excessive spooge IS NOT caused by too much oil in the mixture. Spooge is caused by rich jetting. If you were spooging big time & reduced the oil, that would make your mixture thinner/richer. Spooge would increase.
2018 Beta 300RR
Trail Rider

Postby SamanBN » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:36 am

How can it be transformed?
1:40/1:60 is like 10Celsius temp.difference ?
Or like 35 vs.38 pilot ?

Manny poeple after mixing, are adding a little more oil, to be sure, but at the end, they are also doing leaner condition, which is maybe more dangerous ??

I just want to now, how important it is.

Ps: after winter, i found fuel tank vent not completly opening, ..also can be a culprit of some problems.
SamanBN

Postby Gibnut » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:21 pm

wwguy wrote:

Yes, I understand the relationship between oil in fuel & rich or lean. I probably didn’t explain the symptoms well enough. The motor almost sounded like it was nipping up with some knock, too. This lead me to thinking about oil when carrying engine speed but not throttle speed. If you are doing 40 mp/h on a transport section & back off the throttle when cornering, the tps thinks you’ve got no revs so drops the oil flow accordingly, but the motor is still turning at 3-4000 rpm. The tps is related to slide height, not actual rpm.

Also, the dirty Motul 710 is most likely caused by the oil tank vent tube being unfiltered. It just lays in the void behind the airbox. When the oil level drops, atmospheric pressure has been forcing dirty air into the oil tank. The line needs to be filtered, in my humble opinion.

Anyhow, rode the bike yesterday after replacing the manifold for a ‘15 model with no oil spigot & it is running beautifully with Motul 710 mixed @ 2% in 98RON. Staying pre-mix for now.
Gibnut

Postby wwguy » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:59 am

Gibnut wrote:If you are doing 40 mp/h on a transport section & back off the throttle when cornering, the tps thinks you’ve got no revs so drops the oil flow accordingly, but the motor is still turning at 3-4000 rpm. The tps is related to slide height, not actual rpm.

Yep, that's another great "feature" of Beta's oil injection design. Beta has been pretty clear from the start that OI was developed to comply with strict Euro 4 emissions standards, although they've also happily touted "rider convenience" and "uses less oil" in their marketing campaigns. But they've never claimed that OI offers increased performance or engine longevity, and we know from the many rider reports that it does bring some risk and reliability issues to the table that don't exist with good old premix.

What's also unknown is whether you're getting the intended amount of oil flow at any RPM. There's no accurate repeatable method for dealers or riders to verify and/or adjust actual oil flow. The best they've come up with is the procedure outlined below, which is far from scientific or accurate for an oil map that's supposed to vary the oil flow between 100:1 at idle and 32:1 at WOT.

It's no mystery why the RE bikes come without it, and why pro riders aren't racing with OI. I never experienced any problems with my 2016 OI system before removing it from my bike, but I do sleep and ride with less worry after removing it.

wwguy

Return to Engine - 2 Stroke