2014 300rr

Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

2014 300rr

Postby KGAWDTSi » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:25 pm

Hi all. I have been lurking on this forum for awhile. I have been looking into a new bike and came across a 2014 300rr (coming off a 2007 cr250 set well for off road). It is not the race edition so I will not have to worry about finding parts for the marzocchi fork. My question is about the engine. I believe (correct me if I am wrong) the 2014 have different porting and cdi (possibly powervalve?). How does the engine compare to the 2015-on engines? Are any parts not interchangeable with the 2015+ motors. Just thinking longevity here and how hard parts will be to come by if they are diff. Thanks. Also any other problems with the I should be aware of with the 2014 (I think the fork anodizing problem started around 2016 and some random frame cracking by the head tubes in 2015)
2014 Beta 300rr
2007 Honda Cr250r
KGAWDTSi

Re: 2014 300rr

Postby SaulGoodman » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:03 pm

KGAWDTSi wrote:Hi all. I have been lurking on this forum for awhile. I have been looking into a new bike and came across a 2014 300rr (coming off a 2007 cr250 set well for off road). It is not the race edition so I will not have to worry about finding parts for the marzocchi fork. My question is about the engine. I believe (correct me if I am wrong) the 2014 have different porting and cdi (possibly powervalve?). How does the engine compare to the 2015-on engines? Are any parts not interchangeable with the 2015+ motors. Just thinking longevity here and how hard parts will be to come by if they are diff. Thanks. Also any other problems with the I should be aware of with the 2014 (I think the fork anodizing problem started around 2016 and some random frame cracking by the head tubes in 2015)

There may be timing and porting differences but nothing to be concerned about regarding parts fitment. I think the 2014 had a smaller gas tank too - verify that it holds less than 2.5 gallons would be the way to check.
SaulGoodman

Postby KGAWDTSi » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:58 pm

Thanks Sual. I ended up purchasing the bike yesterday. It has the larger 2.5 gallon tank. Needs a bunch of little stuff but I purchased it for a real good price so I don’t mind putting extra money and time into it
2014 Beta 300rr
2007 Honda Cr250r
KGAWDTSi

Postby 74ossaguy » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:24 am

I have a 2014 with 1,500 miles on it. It runs so good I almost cant believe it. The bike has been bullet proof. It(mine) likes a 60:1 fuel mix with high octane non-ethanol gas (96-98 octane), runs great. Stock jetting, dropped the needle 1 notch.

Hows yours running?
74ossaguy

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:12 am

KGAWDTSi wrote:Hi all. I have been lurking on this forum for awhile. I have been looking into a new bike and came across a 2014 300rr (coming off a 2007 cr250 set well for off road). It is not the race edition so I will not have to worry about finding parts for the marzocchi fork. My question is about the engine. I believe (correct me if I am wrong) the 2014 have different porting and cdi (possibly powervalve?). How does the engine compare to the 2015-on engines? Are any parts not interchangeable with the 2015+ motors. Just thinking longevity here and how hard parts will be to come by if they are diff. Thanks. Also any other problems with the I should be aware of with the 2014 (I think the fork anodizing problem started around 2016 and some random frame cracking by the head tubes in 2015)

Hey Howzit! Remember I got the yellow cr plastics from you? Hope you enjoying that bike! It’s a natural progression from the Hondas we all love. The handling is great and the extra gear it has is wonderful plus the extra cc’s etc. Beta from 2013 just hit it out of the park from the first 300 rr . It’s just been refinements every year. I had a 2013 300 rr and it got stolen and then I bought a 2015 300 rr which actually comes with the 2014 race edition motor. It’s a little more aggressive but still great overall. It’s a subtle change. Your good. That’s a great bike you got. Id be happy if I still had my 13’. Here’s a little info for you. Oops file too big. Anyway you made a great buy. You actually scored as new bike’s you’d have to pay over 400 bucks to buy a kick starter and maybe take off your OIl injection which I think is not needed. Just guard up and springs for your weight etc and you’re done.
hawaiidirtrider

Postby KGAWDTSi » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:26 pm

hawaiidirtrider wrote:

Hey Howzit! Remember I got the yellow cr plastics from you? Hope you enjoying that bike! It’s a natural progression from the Hondas we all love. The handling is great and the extra gear it has is wonderful plus the extra cc’s etc. Beta from 2013 just hit it out of the park from the first 300 rr . It’s just been refinements every year. I had a 2013 300 rr and it got stolen and then I bought a 2015 300 rr which actually comes with the 2014 race edition motor. It’s a little more aggressive but still great overall. It’s a subtle change. Your good. That’s a great bike you got. Id be happy if I still had my 13’. Here’s a little info for you. Oops file too big. Anyway you made a great buy. You actually scored as new bike’s you’d have to pay over 400 bucks to buy a kick starter and maybe take off your OIl injection which I think is not needed. Just guard up and springs for your weight etc and you’re done.

Yep remember you from the CR days and the yellow plastics. Yes I did not want a new one without the kicker and aks9 did not want OI. I got the bike for a real good deal and a bunch of little stuff as the previous owner wasn’t very good about general maintence. It is all squared away now and mostly fully guarded for now. Still have not had the time or descent weather here to take it out for the first ride yet. Hopefully next week. Only thing I would still like to do is a different seat as this bike is brutal just sitting on it in the garage. Maybe differ when I actually get it the woods. Been looking for a used seat pan or beat up seat that I would like to adapt my Honda foam into but not to many used ones out there for cheap.
2014 Beta 300rr
2007 Honda Cr250r
KGAWDTSi

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:39 pm

KGAWDTSi wrote:
hawaiidirtrider wrote:

Yep remember you from the CR days and the yellow plastics. Yes I did not want a new one without the kicker and aks9 did not want OI. I got the bike for a real good deal and a bunch of little stuff as the previous owner wasn’t very good about general maintence. It is all squared away now and mostly fully guarded for now. Still have not had the time or descent weather here to take it out for the first ride yet. Hopefully next week. Only thing I would still like to do is a different seat as this bike is brutal just sitting on it in the garage. Maybe differ when I actually get it the woods. Been looking for a used seat pan or beat up seat that I would like to adapt my Honda foam into but not to many used ones out there for cheap.

Yea it’s wait and see for a full seat to buy used and try and compare and yea it’s big bucks buying new. I like the dualsport design seat from seat concepts best. I have a tall version. Later I got a stock design stock height sc seat which is excellen too and just recently got a used almost brand new low height dualsport design sc seat to try. For hard enduro situations a lower height like an Xtrainer might work great in the boulders and stream beds. I have to test that one. I got a couple of Netas to switch seats around too.. Id say whatever you get as far as height get the dualsport design foam and cover or full seat. That’s the best I think. Seat concepts has a newer xxl seat out now too.
hawaiidirtrider

Postby mtdirtbag » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:21 am

I am the owner of a 2014 300rr with 2,975 miles and 175 riding hours, so far replacement has been tires, chain and sprockets, one brake rotor plus pads front and back and frame guards - it's been stone reliable. My complaints with the bike are suspension, suspension and suspension, still working on it and will get it right someday unless I upgrade to a newer one. As far as the seat I call it my training aid; in other words it trains you to stand as much as possible and I can almost guarantee you'll have monkey butt for the first month of riding or until you get in good enough shape to stand most of the time. I was fortunate to pickup another seat which had aftermarket foam that is a help. Two of the guys I ride with have newer Beta's and have drilled the foam which makes the seat on par with the aftermarket foam. Most will say the map switch does not do much but I like mine on the hot map especially when racing the few motocross races I do and when the ST is flowing, there really is a difference in traction when doing extreme uphills when I run the mild map. I'm going to refresh the top end once the weather is warm enough to spend the few hours in the garage.
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Postby KGAWDTSi » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:31 pm

mtdirtbag wrote:I am the owner of a 2014 300rr with 2,975 miles and 175 riding hours, so far replacement has been tires, chain and sprockets, one brake rotor plus pads front and back and frame guards - it's been stone reliable. My complaints with the bike are suspension, suspension and suspension, still working on it and will get it right someday unless I upgrade to a newer one. As far as the seat I call it my training aid; in other words it trains you to stand as much as possible and I can almost guarantee you'll have monkey butt for the first month of riding or until you get in good enough shape to stand most of the time. I was fortunate to pickup another seat which had aftermarket foam that is a help. Two of the guys I ride with have newer Beta's and have drilled the foam which makes the seat on par with the aftermarket foam. Most will say the map switch does not do much but I like mine on the hot map especially when racing the few motocross races I do and when the ST is flowing, there really is a difference in traction when doing extreme uphills when I run the mild map. I'm going to refresh the top end once the weather is warm enough to spend the few hours in the garage.

Thanks for the reply mtdirtbag. Thae suspension was one of my main concerns about this bike. I was able to get out into the woods today just for a quick mile to warm the bike up for an oil change. The suspension feels OK from what I ride today but I did not get into any of our rough square edge and roots here that we have here in the North East. Also did not get into any of the loose rock gardens we have either. It was just a quick warm up. The seat felt fine in the woods. I may not have to get a softer seat. I ride standing in 90% of the time anyway. My bike does not have a map switch yet but it is on my list of stuff to order
2014 Beta 300rr
2007 Honda Cr250r
KGAWDTSi

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:40 pm

mtdirtbag wrote:I am the owner of a 2014 300rr with 2,975 miles and 175 riding hours, so far replacement has been tires, chain and sprockets, one brake rotor plus pads front and back and frame guards - it's been stone reliable. My complaints with the bike are suspension, suspension and suspension, still working on it and will get it right someday unless I upgrade to a newer one. As far as the seat I call it my training aid; in other words it trains you to stand as much as possible and I can almost guarantee you'll have monkey butt for the first month of riding or until you get in good enough shape to stand most of the time. I was fortunate to pickup another seat which had aftermarket foam that is a help. Two of the guys I ride with have newer Beta's and have drilled the foam which makes the seat on par with the aftermarket foam. Most will say the map switch does not do much but I like mine on the hot map especially when racing the few motocross races I do and when the ST is flowing, there really is a difference in traction when doing extreme uphills when I run the mild map. I'm going to refresh the top end once the weather is warm enough to spend the few hours in the garage.

What have ypu done as far as suspension so far??
hawaiidirtrider

Next

Return to Engine - 2 Stroke