How to check transmission oil 300rr

Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

How to check transmission oil 300rr

Postby mrscottyp » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:16 am

Manual says open check bolt and oil should be at the threads. If I fill it up with 850 mls it will not weep out of the check bolt when cold. I have to add more oil which makes the volume greater than 850ml. I’m wondering what everyone else does to set/check the levels before a ride or after a oil change? Should I warm up the engine and then check? Do you let it weep until it no longer comes out the check bolt?
Thank you
mrscottyp

Re: How to check transmission oil 300rr

Postby wwguy » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:11 am

The point is just to verify that the oil level is near check bolt height with the bike in a level upright position. It doesn't matter if the actual level is slightly lower or slightly higher as long as it isn't significantly under-filled or over-filled.

If you pour 850 ml of fresh oil into the bike with the stock clutch and clutch cover you should be fine. But you can easily verify by slightly tipping the bike towards the check bolt to see how close the actual level is the the hole. It shouldn't matter if the engine is cold or warm as long as you've let the bike sit for a couple of minutes after shutting down the engine before opening the check bolt.

I've only opened my check bolt once, and that was several years ago to verify proper oil height when measuring oil into the bike after installing a larger capacity Rekluse manual clutch cover. For every oil change since then I just warm the engine a bit to help oil drain more quickly, drain the oil, and then refill with the same amount that I originally measured in.

Unless you have an obvious leak there's no need to check oil level before or between rides. It's a closed system and the oil doesn't burn up or otherwise disappear like in worn four-stroke engines.
wwguy

Postby typeone » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:30 am

^ what wwguy said ... i've never used the check bolt on my 250RR, no clue if it even has one! i measure out 850ml, dump it in and call it a day. can go with a little more for extra sandy/muddy conditions but i've always stuck with 850ml.
'13 250RR / '19 200RR / '22 200RE
typeone

Postby Lonesome Dave » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:27 pm

+2^ I'm old and forgot! I knew it was 800 to 900ml. Called my dealer last week. Same thing, he said 850ml on my both sides (4t). Don't worry about the screw. The only thing I do extra is tilt the bike back and forth to get as much oil out as possible. Same routine each time, my wife comes out to the garage and moves the oil pan to catch the oil as the bike is tilted. I've done this so many times, she remembers what to do now!!!!!
Older - Wiser - Faster !
Lonesome Dave

Postby SaulGoodman » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:50 pm

There is a possible source of the mysterious disappearing transmission oil on a two stroke. Worn out right side crank seal. She will smoke alot which should indicate you have troubles. Something like this.

https://youtu.be/X76nSmF_DDY

If the transmission oil quantity that you drain is the same or near as what you measure in.... easy day.
SaulGoodman

Postby Lotus54 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:28 pm

SaulGoodman wrote:There is a possible source of the mysterious disappearing transmission oil on a two stroke. Worn out right side crank seal. She will smoke alot which should indicate you have troubles. Something like this.

https://youtu.be/X76nSmF_DDY

If the transmission oil quantity that you drain is the same or near as what you measure in.... easy day.

HA!
It was hard to see the bike was smoking so badly. Another buddy had the same thing happen- I’ve had to replace crank seals on all my vintage 2–strokes. Not that big of a job (best way to test is a leak-down test, but when smoking like this and the gearbox oil going down noticeably, there really is no reason to do the LD test)

Mark
Beta XTrainer 300, Electric Motion Escape ‘R’, OSSA Super Pioneer 1975, Benelli 750 sei, more
Lotus54

Return to Engine - 2 Stroke