engine light constant flashing

Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

engine light constant flashing

Postby allkidd » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:27 pm

My 2015 Xtrainer started flashing the engine light. It is a constant continuous flashing. It was the first day of a 5 day trip so I wanted to keep riding. I checked for oil and there was still oil going through the line.

Keeping a close eye on my oil consumption, I continued to ride the rest of the week and the bike did great. Seemed to go through about the same amount of oil. I've even ridden it several days since then.

I've checked the manual and it doesn't really seem to address this issue. My guess is that some sensor has gone bad? Obviously, the issue is not with the oil injector.

Has anybody ever had this occur? The bike has a lot of hours of hard riding so I don't want to take to a dealer but would like to figure out the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Beta Xtrainer 300
Beta 300 rr
kTM 1190 Adventure
allkidd

Re: engine light constant flashing

Postby oldman » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:21 pm

Needs to be hooked to a proper scanner to find out why the engine light is flashing. May have to take to dealer to do this simple diagnostic test. "Read Codes" will tell what system is not operating properly.
Current rides, 21 Beta 200RR, 19 Beta 500rrs, 01 Honda 200r, 99 GasGas TXT321, 82 Yamaha YZ490, 83 Yamaha YZ250, 59 Harley Davidson ST165,
Past rides to long to list.
oldman

Postby wwguy » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:40 am

Beta's Oil Injection Troubleshooting Guide specifies that a flashing warning light indicates a problem with the oil pump or associated wiring. (A solid warning light indicates issues with the TPS.) The guide contains a full page dedicated to testing and troubleshooting the warning lights specifically for 2015 Xtrainer.

oldman wrote:Needs to be hooked to a proper scanner to find out why the engine light is flashing. May have to take to dealer to do this simple diagnostic test. "Read Codes" will tell what system is not operating properly.

2015 Xtrainer was the first model year to use oil injection. For this model only, the OI system is controlled by a dedicated ECU separate from the CDI ECU. The OI ECU has different wiring connector and wires from the CDI ECU, so it's unlikely that a standard scanner will work.
wwguy

Postby allkidd » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:20 pm

wwguy, Thanks for the link trouble shooting guide. That looks like it should be help considerably.
Beta Xtrainer 300
Beta 300 rr
kTM 1190 Adventure
allkidd

Postby oldman » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:44 pm

wwguy wrote:Beta's Oil Injection Troubleshooting Guide specifies that a flashing warning light indicates a problem with the oil pump or associated wiring. (A solid warning light indicates issues with the TPS.) The guide contains a full page dedicated to testing and troubleshooting the warning lights specifically for 2015 Xtrainer.

oldman wrote:Needs to be hooked to a proper scanner to find out why the engine light is flashing. May have to take to dealer to do this simple diagnostic test. "Read Codes" will tell what system is not operating properly.

2015 Xtrainer was the first model year to use oil injection. For this model only, the OI system is controlled by a dedicated ECU separate from the CDI ECU. The OI ECU has different wiring connector and wires from the CDI ECU, so it's unlikely that a standard scanner will work.

After reading the oil injection troubleshooting guide, "Ditto what wwguy said. The OI system ECU is super simple and must only moniter two PIDs that being TPS and Oil pump circuits.
Current rides, 21 Beta 200RR, 19 Beta 500rrs, 01 Honda 200r, 99 GasGas TXT321, 82 Yamaha YZ490, 83 Yamaha YZ250, 59 Harley Davidson ST165,
Past rides to long to list.
oldman

Return to Engine - 2 Stroke