Is there a problem with my 250rr's engine!?

Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Is there a problem with my 250rr's engine!?

Postby beta250rrowner » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:45 am

Hi guys, getting back into it after the covid lockdowns and restrictions on public gatherings, I had my 250RR out for the first time in 2 years :o

I notice before it gets up "on the pipe" the engine feels kinda jerky and non smooth. I've been watching YouTube reviews of the 250RR and they all say it has a smooth powerband, which feels like the opposite of my bike.

It either feels like it is flat on the bottom but when it gets "on the pipe" it feels very pully and torquey. It is hard work off road but the 250s are cheap, relatively new and a common model, otherwise I would have bought a 200.

I mix 100mm part synthetic 2t oil with 5 litres of petrol. I've also backed off the powervalve quite a bit as the bike is a handful for me. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.
beta250rrowner

Re: Is there a problem with my 250rr's engine!?

Postby Clearvu1 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:55 am

Well, a little more information might be needed. Did you delete the oil injection or is it a Race model? Also, you turn the power valve adjuster in, clockwise, to slow the hit and outward, counter clockwise, to speed it up. It could be that after sitting for 2 years your carb may have grown some unwanted sludge. Perhaps a new pilot and main jet will help.
Clearvu1

Re: Is there a problem with my 250rr's engine!?

Postby beta250rrowner » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:55 am

Hi, I wrote this in my thread "map switch" but I'll write the gist of it here.

I often have it in the "wet" map mode and I've backed off the power valve about 2 whole turns inwards, so much so that it doesn't even get up on the pipe in 1st gear. But the engine has a slight hesitation, like it always is hunting to "get up on the pipe".

I'll have to try riding it more in dry mapping and maybe fiddle with the power valve more.
beta250rrowner

Return to Engine - 2 Stroke