Map switch!?

Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Map switch!?

Postby beta250rrowner » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:58 am

The previous owner of my bike installed a "map switch" a generic eBay Chinese engine kill switch with two positions "on" and "off". Over the "off" position he has written "wet" in permanent marker.

I have tried both positions and not noticed any difference, so I've left it in wet, just in case.

The only thing I've noticed is that the engine seems kind of jerky and uncertain before it gets on the pipe, then when on the pipe it goes crazy.

But it doesn't feel at all smooth, much more raw.

I am wondering if this could be due to this "map" switch interfering with something in the cdi and maybe I should have it on the dry setting or just unplug it completely?
beta250rrowner

Re: Map switch!?

Postby JoeMaico » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:50 am

My 2016 300 has a factory Map Switch. One position is for wet conditions, the other is for sunny. On the wet setting the power curve is somewhat muted, and it takes a bit longer to rev. The differences between the two settings are subtle, but noticeable after you play with them for a while. I would suggest trying the two settings when tackling low speed/low rev terrain to see if you notice the difference. At higher revs/speeds – you will not notice any difference.

joe
JoeMaico

Postby Clearvu1 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:42 pm

I tried the map switch on my 250RR and, like you, didn't notice much difference so I removed it. I've ridden a few 300RR and it is much more noticable on that bike. I'd unplug it and see if it runs better. If not, I'd pull the power valve cover and make sure the arm is still attached and working properly. Disconnect the arm, assuming it is connected, and run it up and down a few times to make sure the PV moves smoothly and freely. If not, service it and do a top end too because......why not? The standard PV adjustment is about one and a half threads showing, maybe 2. If that all checks out it's possible you have a short in the wire harness somewhere and.....good luck with that.
Clearvu1

Postby beta250rrowner » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:19 am

Interesting information chaps, thank you. I honestly can't see a reason for the map switch. The bike for me is a bit of an animal compared to the KTM 250 exc I had previously, so I've wound the power valve in a significant amount, I think 1 1/2 turns in further than stock, but I can't remember. Actually I seem to remember I wound it in that much and then decided it wasn't smooth enough so wound it in another 1/2 turn, so it's quite dialed down from stock.

I know that in 1st gear it doesn't seem to get up on the pipe at all and does feel a bit hesitant before it does. 2nd gear is the earliest it will get up on the pipe. I'll try it in dry mode and see if that helps.
beta250rrowner

Return to Engine - 2 Stroke