Best Transmission Oil

Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Re: Best Transmission Oil

Postby Hubert Carpet » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:51 pm

My choice is simply down to regional variations. The brands you mention that are available in the USA are not so in Europe and prices for any oil product for us are 2-3 times higher. Motul is a French brand and is therefore more readily available and I already use some of their other products and like them. I also have a good discount with my local dealer.

Sponsorship not withstanding, no-one would recommend a product that would damage theirs.
2020 200RR.
2014 300RR. Gone but not forgotten.
Hubert Carpet

Postby flybars » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:57 am

I'm also using Rotella T 15/40 in my 300rr with the Rekluse exp. Last time I looked, Rekluse recommended Rotella in their auto clutches. I have been using this oil for all my bikes including my street bike with good results and big savings.
'14 300rr
flybars

Postby GMP » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:41 am

Amsoil is great stuff, the 0W-40W works great in the Beta trans and I have ran that before for the low clutch drag. The Rotella syn 5w-40W is just as good in this application, and I used to run that all the time in my '03 GG250 that had a fussy clutch. My '07 and '12 GGs didn't care so the 15W-40w was fine. I've been running Dominator for premix since it was called "Series 2000". Cheaper than Motul 800, which is about $14/L at the local dealer. :o My buddy is an Amsoil dealer as well and we buy a few gal. at a time.

Also note that Motul is an ester base oil, very high film strength but also hygroscopic. Not the best choice if the bike will sit for awhile between rides especially in humid climates.

Hubert,

Rotella is a Shell Oil product diesel engine oil. As I mentioned before it is called "Helix" in some other markets outside the USA.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Hubert Carpet » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:05 am

Thanks, Glenn.

We certainly have Helix in the UK and have had for quite a few years. I'll drop a mail to Shell UK and ask them to confirm the exact cross-reference as the Helix brand has just been "refreshed" with new logos and names.
2020 200RR.
Hubert Carpet

Postby Montesa » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:18 pm

I've been using GM Auto-trac II in my GasGas for years. Really cleans up the shifting big time. Trials bike guys have been using it with great success.
Montesa

Postby webmaster » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:06 am

Hubert Carpet wrote:Thanks, Glenn.

We certainly have Helix in the UK and have had for quite a few years. I'll drop a mail to Shell UK and ask them to confirm the exact cross-reference as the Helix brand has just been "refreshed" with new logos and names.

The question you want to ask shell about the helix is if it is low in moly additives. I found a helix used oil analysis on the web that looks like it is - but you should confirm this with shell; If there is high moly content it will lead to clutch slip.

In the U.S. market - the rotella oils have a JASO motorcycle rating - this rating indicates the oil is good for use in a wet clutch application. They may not JASO rate the oil in your market - here in the u.s. there is a larger motorcycle market for the rotella.

In the european market the diesel oils are blended to meet the requirements for diesel cars - whereas in the u.s. market they are blended for use in our diesel trucks. So to meet euro specs from vw, mercedes diesels etc they may add moly. e.g. in the u.s. the rotella does not meet vw spec whereas in europe the rotella helix diesel ultra does...

jeff
Webmaster
Beta Riders Club
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby Hubert Carpet » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:34 pm

Thanks, Jeff, that's good advice. I have emailed Shell but they just sent me some basic spec sheets for single viscosity oils. I shall have to have another try.
2020 200RR.
Hubert Carpet

Postby betajuice » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:15 pm

Glad I found this thread, it gets tricky finding the recommended type of Motul oil in Australia, to the point where the Aussie distributor talked with the factory about a replacement and the official recommendation is now GRO 'Gear Trans'. Has anyone used this? It sounds like the goods as it meets the specs of a pile of different bike manufacturers... here's a link: http://www.globalracingoil.com.au/kart/79-gear-oil-a-grease/140-global-gear-trans
betajuice

Postby NZMarkb » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:37 pm

I've been using Motul Trans Oil for 25 years now and am sticking with it
Cheers all
Have a great Christmas
:D :D :D
If your not willing to stand behind our troops
Then try standing in front of them
NZMarkb

Postby Alta Redneck » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:08 pm

I run the new amsoil "dirt" 10w-40. So far so good. I know my cousin runs it as well in his husky which always had a problem with hitting neutral, the bike definitely shifts better now. I used to run amsoil 0w-40 in my gasgas.
Alta Redneck

PreviousNext

Return to Engine - 2 Stroke