Best Transmission Oil

Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Re: Best Transmission Oil

Postby NZMarkb » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:55 pm

Was happy to see a bottle of Motul trans oil came with the new bike when I opened the crate
I've used the stuff for years and will continue to :D :D
If your not willing to stand behind our troops
Then try standing in front of them
NZMarkb

Postby Silverfox » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:01 am

I have always used ATF in previous 2 strokes, and never had an issue.
Silverfox

Postby wasatchcomm » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:19 pm

Beta service manual is stating liqui Moly racing 10W40 for the 300 gear box
anyone using this? or have used it?
2016 300RR
2016 XTrainer
wasatchcomm

Postby dirtynenow » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:58 pm

I have had very good results with the Honda HP Trans Oil SAE 80w/85W and I am hard on the clutch.
dirtynenow

Postby Johnno » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:39 pm

I use Delo 400 mainly because I find it works really well, my clutch is super nice but also it's great for getting into arguments on the internet.
Loose...
Johnno

Postby hooter » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:58 pm

That's the main goal of an oil thread isn't it?
hooter

Postby Johnno » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:55 pm

Some of the things you get told: The proprietor of a motorcycle repair and tyre shop who I consider a friend berated me for not using a specific 2 stroke gear box oil. It was Motul 5100 engine oil versus 5100 trans oil.

His reasoning was that a 4T oil would ruin my crank.

I wondered how it was going to get in there.

I said my understanding, and that's all that is, is that the trans oil 5100 doesn't have the stuff it doesn't need to be in the top of an engine.

The fact that the trans oil 5100 is a few cents cheaper might bear this out.

In the 1970's ( this was all trees then, no buildings ) the handbook told you to run 10w or sometimes 10W30 motor oil in the trans. My IT175F manual told me to run 10W motor oil in the forks. Guys started running ATF which is about 7.5W ( as far as I know ) in their forks and 2T trans. It worked well.

My point is, I am not sure of any ground braking technological ( can't believe I spelled that correctly, WIN!! ) improvements to the 2T trans. Okay the fibre isn't whale skin any more or something but it's still the same mechanically.

My favourite is: Why do you use a diesel engine oil in your trans, you should use a motorcycle pacific ( sic ) trans oil because your bike is toadally gonna blow up mang.

It's good stuff, that's why. My clutch doesn't slip ever and I can go over to my bike stone cold in first gear, pull in the clutch and push it.

If you are happy to use Motul ( I never had a problem with it ) or any other Motorcycle oil please continue.

If you start using Delo or any other diesel oil then do it because you looked into it, maybe spent an afternoon or 3 with a cup of something learning a bit about oil, it's make up and what it can and can't do.

Not because I said so.

Peace :D
Loose...
Johnno

Postby wasatchcomm » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:48 pm

Johnno wrote:I use Delo 400 mainly because I find it works really well, my clutch is super nice but also it's great for getting into arguments on the internet.

what weight do you use?
2016 300RR
2016 XTrainer
wasatchcomm

Postby Johnno » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:42 pm

15W40.

It never gets that cold here.
Loose...
Johnno

Postby Mauibetaboy » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:08 pm

Johnno wrote:Some of the things you get told: The proprietor of a motorcycle repair and tyre shop who I consider a friend berated me for not using a specific 2 stroke gear box oil. It was Motul 5100 engine oil versus 5100 trans oil.

His reasoning was that a 4T oil would ruin my crank.

I wondered how it was going to get in there.

I said my understanding, and that's all that is, is that the trans oil 5100 doesn't have the stuff it doesn't need to be in the top of an engine.

The fact that the trans oil 5100 is a few cents cheaper might bear this out.

In the 1970's ( this was all trees then, no buildings ) the handbook told you to run 10w or sometimes 10W30 motor oil in the trans. My IT175F manual told me to run 10W motor oil in the forks. Guys started running ATF which is about 7.5W ( as far as I know ) in their forks and 2T trans. It worked well.

My point is, I am not sure of any ground braking technological ( can't believe I spelled that correctly, WIN!! ) improvements to the 2T trans. Okay the fibre isn't whale skin any more or something but it's still the same mechanically.

My favourite is: Why do you use a diesel engine oil in your trans, you should use a motorcycle pacific ( sic ) trans oil because your bike is toadally gonna blow up mang.

It's good stuff, that's why. My clutch doesn't slip ever and I can go over to my bike stone cold in first gear, pull in the clutch and push it.

If you are happy to use Motul ( I never had a problem with it ) or any other Motorcycle oil please continue.

If you start using Delo or any other diesel oil then do it because you looked into it, maybe spent an afternoon or 3 with a cup of something learning a bit about oil, it's make up and what it can and can't do.

Not because I said so.

Peace :D

Riding a 2018 Beta Xtrainer. Low speed technical rocky rooty steep 1 and 2nd occasionally 3rd gear riding. Air temps 90-95 high humidity. Hawaii.
I recently "Upgraded" from the regular Rotella Diesel oil which I have been running for 2 years to their Synthetic. Not sure yet if it is a coincidence but I am having some trouble with overheating since doing so. I also at about the same time installed a Rekluse radius CX clutch which I don't bog or run it in too high a gear so I don't believe I am creating more heat slipping the clutch...unless the synthetic oil is causing slipping.?
I spoke with my very knowledgeable mechanic and he said he recommends that I go away from synthetic oils for the trans/clutch. Wondering if you or anyone on here had an opinion on synthetic oils for transmissions with a wet clutch and if there is a problem.
Mauibetaboy

PreviousNext

Return to Engine - 2 Stroke