Power Valve

Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Re: Power Valve

Postby T.Read » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:23 pm

I've been running mine flush with the case and I really like it that way. I tried it further in, even at stock and further in than that, and it felt like the hit was right where I didn't want it. I've been keeping the Map on one the whole time too, haven't really messed with it.
2014 250RR Racing
T.Read

Postby BassMan » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:28 am

I agree that the stock setting for the 250 hits where you least want it. I have also found running it out more makes the response much more linear and predictable. The trick is to find the ideal setting for your engine, jetting, and gearing that is smooth and doesn't blow through the power curve. The adjustability is superb on mine and very easy to feel a quarter turn difference. Mine is currently 3/4 in from flush or 1 3/4 from all the way out. I was doing a bunch of experimenting yesterday since I took my gearing back to stock. I was able to run an extra 1/4 turn in with the 50 rear I used to have but was always going back and fourth between 2nd and 3rd thus back to the 49 tooth and it is perfect, almost feels magic with current setting.

Any farther in and my bike and rider can't pull a higher gear smoothly without a bunch of clutch. It also let's me clutch modulate the power much easier in 2nd and 3rd gear. If you are hitting a 90 degree hill as a berm and need to power out right now with one finger as you and the bike are horizontal, that second of delay really hurts cause you have already fallen.
BassMan

Postby Knox Enduro » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:01 am

I run mine flush in slick conditions so the power comes on softer at low rpm's and turn it in 1 turn when it is grippy. Nice to have the option!

Recently I changed out the PV spring ('13 250RR) with one from a "14 300. I did not use the 300 smaller secondary spring. Springs are the same size, but different color, can't feel a noticeable difference in tension. Only takes about two minutes to change.

Big change in power delivery though, power is now much more linear like a 300. Going to try adding the secondary small spring next.
GP
Knox Enduro

Postby T.Read » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:14 pm

I messed around with mine Monday and Tuesday. Dry conditions at Land Between the Lakes. I've noticed on faster trails it stays open and is kinda tiring when I just want to cruise turned out to flush which is what I have been at. I turned it in one turn and it made it much easier to cruise the high speed main trail, but also made it easier to ride in the deep woods there and climb the hills. We stayed on all the "tougher" blue diamond trails and did a lot of our own trail cutting. I'm going to see how it is this weekend at a ride in Alabama.
2014 250RR Racing
T.Read

Previous

Return to Engine - 2 Stroke