Oil Injection?!

Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Re: Oil Injection?!

Postby Mark Donovan » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:00 am

What if I don't want or need an odometer either? I think we beat this one up pretty good and its clear that there are two camps. We will just have to wait and see how it is implemented and if its easily removed or not.

Or maybe see some swapping? We will have to see what's involved with swapping the system to an 13-15 model. I for one might be interested is swapping my two bikes over to the new OI.
Mark Donovan
Adventure Off Road
2539 Highway 43 South
Leoma Tn. 38468
931-852-5445
http://www.thebetaclub.com
2014 300RR Race Edition
Mark Donovan

Location: Leoma Tennessee Beta Motorcycle sales/parts/suspension/service

Postby Hubert Carpet » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:52 am

GMP wrote:What if I don't want or need an odometer either? I think we beat this one up pretty good and its clear that there are two camps. We will just have to wait and see how it is implemented and if its easily removed or not.

I suppose that's a primary difference between UK and USA riding. Over here we all have road plated bikes and an odo is a legal requirement. Also you need to be on top of gas mileage to know when to head off the trail to fill up. I also keep maintenance logs based on hours and mileage so have never even considered removing the odo.

I also do traditional time card enduro so need time and distance info for that. Horses for courses.
2020 200RR.
2014 300RR. Gone but not forgotten.
Hubert Carpet

Postby redrider » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:14 am

Hubert Carpet wrote:
GMP wrote:What if I don't want or need an odometer either? I think we beat this one up pretty good and its clear that there are two camps. We will just have to wait and see how it is implemented and if its easily removed or not.

I suppose that's a primary difference between UK and USA riding. Over here we all have road plated bikes and an odo is a legal requirement. Also you need to be on top of gas mileage to know when to head off the trail to fill up. I also keep maintenance logs based on hours and mileage so have never even considered removing the odo.

I also do traditional time card enduro so need time and distance info for that. Horses for courses.

Now I understand better why we can't get stripped down race models over here with none of those things (at a reduced price of course). All I want is the e-start and map switch. The rest is $1k+ worth in items I don't need. If BETA ever offers that version in the States, the little plant in Italy couldn't keep up with demand.
redrider

Postby wasatchcomm » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:00 am

Enmerdeur wrote:I would guess there have been more incidents of people forgetting to mix oil in their gas then OI failures

so true....
2016 300RR
2016 XTrainer
wasatchcomm

Postby GMP » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:49 pm

redrider wrote:
Hubert Carpet wrote:

Now I understand better why we can't get stripped down race models over here with none of those things (at a reduced price of course). All I want is the e-start and map switch. The rest is $1k+ worth in items I don't need. If BETA ever offers that version in the States, the little plant in Italy couldn't keep up with demand.

Now that is so true! Even GasGas did that for the U.S. market. $$ talks. If the bikes continue to sell well and the riders want, the riders may get.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Jakobi » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:50 pm

Definitely two camps both in terms of requirements and opinion around OI. I wouldn't say that they are mutually exclusive, however.

Here in Australia ADR (ability to road register) is generally what defines an 'enduro' bike with the target audience being the weekend warrior who rides in State/National Parks/Forests. In saying that, the orange brand does offer 3 x models. EXC (ADR), XC, and SX. Perhaps Beta could implement something along the same lines, but the market has to push the requirement first. Generally a racer will either take an MX bike and tweak it for offroad, or an enduro and strip it back.

At the end of the day, any bike is going to take a certain level of refinement to meet a particular riders needs. Even more so when manufacturing and marketing a single product globally. There will be compromises, and as such it's usually about purchasing the bike that best meets your needs. If I don't need OI I'll likely buy a bike that doesn't offer it, simply remove it, or wait until it's truly proven over a few seasons.
Jakobi

Postby GMP » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:03 am

So good news Jake. No OI on the race models, and it looks like its a simple manifold injection (like the old Yamaha system, not Suzuki) so should be easily binned.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby bmrev01 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:37 am

If it is done right I would love to see it on the race model as well. I am bummed it is not on them.
bmrev01

Postby mrquick68 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:36 am

bmrev01 wrote:If it is done right I would love to see it on the race model as well. I am bummed it is not on them.

No offense, but I actually would love to see the race model be premix. That gives us a choice! I like choices. Plus it bring the pricing of each bike more in line with one another. you want a trail warrior that's easy to use and super fun, get the OI with softer suspension. Want a no frills, super solid, trick race bike with a CC fork, then get the Race Edition. Life is awesome! Kinda like choosing between a 300XCW and 300XC KTM in a way.

I dig it! I'm leary of an OI dirt bike in some way, but...they have a solid history of working well in other applications now. The have been working perfect in sleds for years and years, and if you think a sled lives an easier life than a dirt bike, you are WAY WRONG. A lot of ride sleds in the mountains and push them to the extreme, 15 miles of whooped out trails at 60 mph, WOT for 3 minutes straight, massive cliff drops, rollovers, HUGE temperature and elevation swings, etc etc. They work perfect! And as someone mentioned before, i bet my life on the OI working on the sled as its minus 10F outside and i'm 30 miles from my truck in 3ft of powder, i'd probably die before i made it out - and I never sweat the OI.
2018 Beta 250RR RE - Beta Factory suspension kit, Tubliss, FMF Fatty, Scotts Dampener, BRP Mnt!
2019 Beta 390RR RE - BYOB Ohlins A-Kit, Tubliss, FMF exhaust, Scotts Dampener, BRP Mnt, Ti bolt kit, and more!
mrquick68

Postby Mark Donovan » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:40 am

Well said Mrquick68. I agree totally.
Mark Donovan
Adventure Off Road
2539 Highway 43 South
Leoma Tn. 38468
931-852-5445
http://www.thebetaclub.com
2014 300RR Race Edition
Mark Donovan