Ideal 4T SAG?

4 stroke engine,carburation, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Re: Ideal 4T SAG?

Postby Marty Moose » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:58 am

Johnny Depp wrote:2015 Beta 500 RS. Do you blokes have the RS in Aussie?

No we don't get the RS but I'm lead to believe it has the same suspension as the RR. Your front end issue if its the same is lack of rebound control the std stack is useless its way off. Get a tuner to add some beef to the rebound stack or copy the one I posted a while back this will help you gain some traction and feel and allow you to back off on such a steep chassis. Does it tuck as you get on the gas ?

MM
Marty Moose

Postby Johnny Depp » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:40 am

The front breaks loose just before reaching the apex, while still under braking. It is unlikely to be rebound, since at that time often the rear wheel is unloaded (the last time it was airborne with a nose wheelie). It also has surfaced when planted into a berm, and with the rear too soft and squatting it unloads the front and in minimal traction conditions breaks loose. Sometimes you can catch it, some times the front end folds lowside.

I feel like my setup has taken it about as far as I need to go chassis setup wise, my next move will be less front spring to get the front to load better.
I currently have 1 48 and 1 50 spring up front (49) and it works on tracks but offroad not so much. Rear 6.0 now same story, good for tracks but too firm for some offroad. The standard Michelins at 8 psi have served me well, although a Golden 216aa is sure to improve the front. I didn't want to hide any setup flaws with a super front sneaker so I held back on the change (plus they were back ordered forever).

I am a 58 year old 200lb rider that rides mostly MX, scrambles, enduros and cross country. As a former pro MX rider I still occasionally flirt with A rider speeds for a few laps anyways, although B is the class I run for MX and C offroad.
Johnny Depp

Postby NJZoltan » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:40 am

They sell 420 and 500 RS. That's the dual sport model, correct?
NJZoltan

Postby Nicajohn » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:10 pm

430. I believe it comes in RS model. I have the 2015 430RR. It also comes in race edition. I'm in nj as well, not sure where you are located but long beach island is 10 min from me and my beta dealer is 10 min up road. No 430s but has a new 2014 350 leftover and his demo model 350 in shop. Sells em so fast. I think 2 xtrainers and a 250RR in a weekend
Nicajohn

Postby basalt » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:02 pm

Hey guys - 264 pounds ready to ride. Dealer insisted .50 front and 5.8 rear though I thought I should be closer to .52+/6.0+ . My shock spring is near out of threads, my static sag is 26mm and rider sag 106mm. I figured I was so far off static wise I might as well stop there. I don't know where my fork sag is yet, as I'm sure it will change when I get the shock set correctly.

70% off-road/Trails, 20% desert, 10% MX.

Bike was magic in the rocks, but couldn't handle anything bigger than a bump without bottoming and wanting to throw me. I'm +6 clicks compression front and rear and 1 turn out high speed already.

I'm sure a revalve will be necessary eventually, but what springs will get me in the right ballpark with sag?

Thanks
'16 500 RS, '06 FE550
basalt

Postby Marty Moose » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:55 am

Basalt PM Twowheels on here he is a Beta dealer in the US and has the info and the know how you need to get the bike working.

MM
Marty Moose

Postby redrider » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:09 am

SPRING RATES FOR 2016 MODELS (SAME FOR 2015s) The rider weights listed are WITH gear.

RR MODEL CHART
http://mediacdn.shopatron.com/media/mfg ... 750775.pdf

RACE EDITION CHART
http://mediacdn.shopatron.com/media/mfg ... 417977.pdf
redrider

Postby ballisticexchris » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:36 pm

2012 520RS. Out here in the West I'm running .50 front and 5.8 rear. About 105mm sag. 270mm Race Tech Spring. Linkage guard in #2 position. I'm a solid C rider (200lbs in street clothes) that rides a little bit of everything from rocks, whoops and deep sand. I try to stand up almost all the time when ridding aggressive.

What really had me scratching my head was the spring preload. From all these threads on the internet it seems you want under 10mm preload for optimum performance. No matter how stiff the spring is it's just not possible on my Beta. I have spent hours trying to figure out why I need to crank down the spring to get good numbers. 10mm preload gives my bike almost 50mm static and 120mm of rider sag.

Went to Race Tech's shop and was told by them and my personal suspension tuner to not worry about the preload as long as the sag numbers are within range.

I have the clickers fine tuned and it works great everywhere. Surprisingly I have not had to stiffen the front clickers for the deep sand washes. I passed my bike over to a AA pro rider and he was so impressed with it he has decided to copy my valving on his 450RS.

For the heck of it here are my clicker numbers:
Shock
Reb 20 out from closed
LS comp 12 out from closed
HS comp 2 in from open
Race Tech oil US1
Fork
Reb 11 out from closed
Comp 7 out from closed
Motul oil 5wt Factory

Keep in mind sag numbers are very subjective from rider to rider. In the terrain I ride you have to stand up to go at a decent pace. I set my sag standing in the position I normally ride. FWIW if you sit down on anything other than fireroads, my bike will punish you to the point of tears. It's like it has a mind of it's own. Darting off the trail and deflecting off rocks and ruts.

Static and rider sag are well within range:

And no, kickstand is not touching ground!! LOL
ballisticexchris

Previous

Return to Engine - 4 Stroke