Spark plug removal

4 stroke engine,carburation, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Spark plug removal

Postby Marty Moose » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:35 pm

So who has removed the plug on their later model 4st ?? If so what tool did you use ?? The Frame rail is badly in the way on my 350rr.

MM
Marty Moose

Re: Spark plug removal

Postby ricoyam » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:22 pm

Marty Moose wrote:So who has removed the plug on their later model 4st ?? If so what tool did you use ?? The Frame rail is badly in the way on my 350rr.

MM

I've pulled the plug on Chris's 500 but not yet on my 430. Theoretically the 500 should have the least space. I don't recall any real issues. I probably used the Motion Pro 14mm spark plug socket. Possibly with a universal joint extension.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
Mechanic/Restorer Chris Carter Motorcycle Collection
ricoyam

Postby Marty Moose » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:03 pm

ricoyam wrote:
Marty Moose wrote:So who has removed the plug on their later model 4st ?? If so what tool did you use ?? The Frame rail is badly in the way on my 350rr.

MM

I've pulled the plug on Chris's 500 but not yet on my 430. Theoretically the 500 should have the least space. I don't recall any real issues. I probably used the Motion Pro 14mm spark plug socket. Possibly with a universal joint extension.

Tried that it won't fit on my 2016 350 the frame is almost over the hole.

MM
Marty Moose

Postby twowheels » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:50 am

Your bike should have included one ... make sure the kid in the back at the dealership didn't leave it sitting on the workbench :lol: :lol:
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby Marty Moose » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:00 am

Cheers Steve will chase that up tomorrow.
Marty Moose

Postby Arctra » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:22 am

I couldn't get my normal spark plug socket in to remove the plug, I had to resort to using the one in the toolkit that came with the bike. It is articulated in the middle to you can get it down the hole past the frame. The next challenge was actually turning it. Fortunately I had a 13mm socket with 6 flat sides that was a snug fit over the top of the spanner - the traditional spline-type socket just turned on the top of the spark plug tool as it does not have defined nut-edges. The next challenge was actually turning the tool to get the plug out - there wasn't enough space for socket wrench to fit in between the frame and the socket. I resorted to using vice-grips to hold the socket and turn it. DON"T USE VICE-GRIPS DIRECTLY ON THE BETA TOOL!!! It is not hardened steel and you'll just crimp the tube.

Once the plug was loose I could unscrew it by hand but because the tool is articulated in the middle it's slow going. The tool did seem to have enough "grip" on the plug to extract it from the hole too, although it took a couple of attempts.

Putting the plug back in is the reverse procedure, but because you're using vice-grips to tighten the plug it's difficult to know whether you're doing it too tight or tight enough.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, little to no consideration was given to working on the top end of the motor whilst it is still in the frame. Beta clearly assume that you'll "just" remove the engine from the frame and work on it on the bench. :roll:
Arctra

Postby Oldirt » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:42 pm

I struggled with this issue, even though the bike was new, I wanted to check the plug against my jetting changes. Well, found out the roll pin that holds the 2 pieces on the factory tool needs to be ground down to prevent the roll pin from binding. Also found out we need a 9 mm allan wrench to fit in the top of the plug tool. Put this together and the plug is removed "fairly" easy. Hope this helps everyone.
Oldirt

Postby CAJW » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:16 pm

Oldirt wrote:I struggled with this issue, even though the bike was new, I wanted to check the plug against my jetting changes. Well, found out the roll pin that holds the 2 pieces on the factory tool needs to be ground down to prevent the roll pin from binding. Also found out we need a 9 mm allan wrench to fit in the top of the plug tool. Put this together and the plug is removed "fairly" easy. Hope this helps everyone.

My factory plug wrench had the same issue. It would not fit past the valve cover and couldn't engage the spark plug. Word to the wise, check that yours fits before you find out otherwise out in the trail with no way to fix that too long roll pin.
2014 520RS
CAJW

Postby twowheels » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:42 am

Part of the issue is that there is a wire bundle directly over the plug. I clipped the zip ties and dropped the tool down between two strands of the bundle. Not sure where you're supposed to find a 9mm Allen ... I made my own. Good tip on shortening the roll pin ... I knew something was rubbing but was able to get the plug out and in anyway.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby betadan390 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:26 am

So I removed my plug while adjusting my valves on a 390 . What I did was drilled a hole near the top of the spark plug tool that comes with the bike so now you can stick a cross bar/ screwdriver through it to loosen.
betadan390

Next

Return to Engine - 4 Stroke