2018 500 rrs mystery noise hail mary.

4 stroke engine,carburation, EFI, and exhaust discussion

2018 500 rrs mystery noise hail mary.

Postby SNOSUX! » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:04 pm

Hello,
Have a mystery noise on a 2018 500 rrs, just seeing if there's any real answers out there or similar experience.
warranty is not an answer!
Factory Beta did not have an answer either.
Noise started after motor got overly hot one time.
Has always had proper and timely oil changes and all the correct fluids used.
bike ran quiet,smooth and flawlesly for over 2 years, so I know what its supposed to sound like. Everything is stock.
Noise sounds like loud grinding inside the motor as its running. Does not change when in gear. The kind of noise that makes all mechanics cringe.
Bike runs and shifts great. I've had several 4 strokes and know the noise aint right.
I have rebuilt the entire engine 4 times. My dealer and Beta mechanic has also been in there 4 times. (they have been great through all this)
Yes there is both aluminum and steel in the motor oil when we drain it. Trans oil is normal.
Cannot find any obvious signs of wear anywhere. Every piece of the motor has been on the micrometer and double checked. Nothing is out of spec.
Cylinder looks like new, no marks. honing is perfect.
no piston slap.
Here's what we have replaced;
piston and rings,
all the bearings, (this helped the counter balancer shaft noise, but major noise still persists)
cam chain, cam chain tensioner, tried a manual tensioner as well. plastic guides also replaced
valves and springs,
clutch, plates and drivers, bearing
all the seals and gaskets are fresh and correct.
All shafts check out as straight, and within spec. crank shaft, counter balancer, cams
Had a kick starter but took it off just in case. (not the problem)
Replaced the starter
Basically everything that moves and could make noise, has been replaced or checked within factory specs.
Not the gears because it makes the noise in neutral and doesnt change when in gear.
I would just keep riding it, but want to sell it. Need to get it back to good.
If anyone has had experience with this or something similar, I would appreciate any real and or constructive information out there.
Thanks!!

Update. she blew. Anyone got a 500 rrs or similar motor or need a parts bike?
SNOSUX!

Return to Engine - 4 Stroke