15 500 RS Carb Specs

4 stroke engine,carburation, EFI, and exhaust discussion

15 500 RS Carb Specs

Postby MAG » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:21 pm

I'm ordering a Lectron and if anyone has the carb off their 15 500 can you get me the dimensions listed on the attached pic? Bike will be here late Jan and I can wait until then if I can't find info. Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Carb Dimensions spec form.pdf
(73.13 KiB) Downloaded 513 times
MAG

Re: 15 500 RS Carb Specs

Postby Johnny Depp » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:47 pm

No, I'm not taking my carb off to help you turn your bike into FrankenBeta. It has more power than you'll ever need, wait until you ride it. If you have too much $ and need to spend it send it to me or pick another accessory. What are you thinking? Oh, and Happy New Year!
Johnny Depp

Postby ricoyam » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:07 pm

I'm a believer in Lectrons but think you are making a mistake in replacing an FCR with one.
That said I'm pretty sure the carbs on the Betas are standard units. You might be able to find what you need on the Sudco or Kehin websites.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
Mechanic/Restorer Chris Carter Motorcycle Collection
ricoyam

Postby MAG » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:37 am

Johnny Depp wrote:No, I'm not taking my carb off to help you turn your bike into FrankenBeta. It has more power than you'll ever need, wait until you ride it. If you have too much $ and need to spend it send it to me or pick another accessory. What are you thinking? Oh, and Happy New Year!

Funny, didn't think I asked anyone to take carb off or said it was for more power. Please JD, get me a list of what aftermarket items are acceptable to you for my bike.

My plan for the Lectron and the bike will be for trips only, where there will be huge elevation changes throughout the day. Probably be easier to buy a EFI bike but a good friend is a Beta dealer so don't have that option.
MAG

Postby Johnny Depp » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:41 am

OK, that may be a legit reason, maybe. If you had a 350 you'd probably be concerned with high altitude power loss, a 480.....you might have to use 3/4 throttle sometimes.

Other acceptable uses are Supermoto, Road Racing, Drag Racing and Bonneville runs.

I would like to see you put fuel injection on it 1st. Perhaps a megaphone exhaust. I don't mind giving advice on how to spend your money to improve performance, just ask.

Besides the Vodka assisted knowledge last night, I happened to run across someone trying to completely change out all suspension components to a Beta and it irks me to see people re engineering the bike as if Beta got it all wrong.
Johnny Depp

Postby ricoyam » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:57 pm

Johnny Depp wrote:OK, that may be a legit reason, maybe. If you had a 350 you'd probably be concerned with high altitude power loss, a 480.....you might have to use 3/4 throttle sometimes.

Other acceptable uses are Supermoto, Road Racing, Drag Racing and Bonneville runs.

I would like to see you put fuel injection on it 1st. Perhaps a megaphone exhaust. I don't mind giving advice on how to spend your money to improve performance, just ask.

Besides the Vodka assisted knowledge last night, I happened to run across someone trying to completely change out all suspension components to a Beta and it irks me to see people re engineering the bike as if Beta got it all wrong.

Not sure if they got it all wrong but.........
Old timers will remember Ake Jonnson moving from Maico to Yamaha but putting Maico forks on it. Kenny Roberts also began his factory job at Yamaha running Lectrons on his TZ500. Yamaha had "input" for both those guys.
There is an inherent need for us gear heads to tinker with things and try to improve them. Not much I own is completely stock but I'm doing a lot better than I was in my younger days. Needs change though, I don't ride or drive as fast as I used to and find as I get older, I'd rather ride or drive than tinker. I also get to tinker all day long for my job.

I'm still not completely sold on FI for dirt bikes. I dread dropping one in a stream and having to deal with clearing the system on the trail side. We are working on solutions at Motion Pro but things are a bit bulky to carry on your person or your bike. I've done dual sport rides here in NorCal that start out around 1000 ft and run up to 10,000+ ft elevations but don't sweat the jetting.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
Mechanic/Restorer Chris Carter Motorcycle Collection
ricoyam

Postby Johnny Depp » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:04 pm

I am familiar with Maico forks, in fact I just made a post last night on Vitalmx about them!

Y22 hours ago
Edited Date/Time: 21 hours ago
Springs no doubt.

Maico forks are the best, but are harder to get than A kits. Conventional Suzuki 50mm also recommended. 52mm Cone valve WP's like factory KTM's if you have to go upside down.
2015 Beta 500 RS, history: 99 KTM 300, 87 CR250, 84 KLR 600, 82 GPZ 550, 81 KX 250, 80 KX 250, 79 Montesa 414 VE, 78 250 VB, 77 360 VB, 76 360 VA, 75 YZ 125, 74 TM 125, 72 TS 125, 60's West Bend Go Boy Kartep,

I know people like to check out websites to get a feel for how owners feel about their bikes, and I want to make sure the Beta gets proper cred. I own one and know how it works. Protecting my resale if you will. I'm in TX so altitude is not a concern, but it runs perfectly out of the box.

There are those that would have you believe your bike will puke and die in altitude without fuel injection. I don't know how they ran the Pike's Peak races all those years since 1914 to 14,000 ft. before fuel injection, they must have pushed them to the top?

The magic in the Beta Motor is the power delivery, it is smooth at low throttle applications, not herky jerky as most butterfly valve fuel injection bikes are. There are also new "smart" throttle bodies to correct this problem http://motocrossactionmag.com/features/ ... utterflies

I haven't seen Catfish post here, but he regulary runs his 520 RS at altitudes and has no problems.

I understand the need to tinker, they might even offer Lectron or Smartcarbs on BYOB one day? http://www.vitalmx.com/photos/features/ ... L512,13480
I'm not sure the Smartcarb has been released yet?

I just wouldn't risk jeopardizing one of the best attributes of the bike to fix a problem that isn't a problem to other owners without even riding the bike 1st. Oh well, if I was rich there is no telling what I might do.
Johnny Depp

Return to Engine - 4 Stroke