How do you like your 350 EFI

4 stroke engine,carburation, EFI, and exhaust discussion

How do you like your 350 EFI

Postby Mo.man » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:44 pm

Can anybody tell me what you think about your EFI on your new 350. How does it start hot/ cold, throttle control, etc.
Mo.man

Re: How do you like your 350 EFI

Postby ricoyam » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:21 pm

Mo.man wrote:Can anybody tell me what you think about your EFI on your new 350. How does it start hot/ cold, throttle control, etc.

I can't say a thing about the 350 but the carb on the 430 works so well that the FI had better be better than perfect.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
Mechanic/Restorer Chris Carter Motorcycle Collection
ricoyam

Postby Leon_RR250 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:53 am

The EFI is perfect. It absolutely resists to stall even if you fall down, it drives-pulls smoother than anything else in the market (enduro EFI-wise...) from 0 revs up and the reduced engine braking is really a big plus compared to anything else. I think the Shercos employ the same step motor feature since they use the same Synerject system. It is also a quite powerful motor in the way it can rev-up when you need it to. I had a friend try my bike and when he came back said that it is not stalling where his KTM EXC350F 2014 would stall and also that it is easier to ride through the trees with very nice turn-in behavior. Almost 36 hours on mine now and there have been no issues at all.
Leon_RR250

Postby ricoyam » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:16 pm

Leon_RR250 wrote:The EFI is perfect. It absolutely resists to stall even if you fall down, it drives-pulls smoother than anything else in the market (enduro EFI-wise...) from 0 revs up and the reduced engine braking is really a big plus compared to anything else. I think the Shercos employ the same step motor feature since they use the same Synerject system. It is also a quite powerful motor in the way it can rev-up when you need it to. I had a friend try my bike and when he came back said that it is not stalling where his KTM EXC350F 2014 would stall and also that it is easier to ride through the trees with very nice turn-in behavior. Almost 36 hours on mine now and there have been no issues at all.

There you go! If it's better than the KTM, it's better than perfect. :D
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
ricoyam

Postby Mo.man » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:35 pm

Thanks for your comments guys, sounds like Beta has it figured out.
Mo.man

Postby vwprostock » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:24 pm

New here but bought a 15' 350RR Rae back in April. So far I love the hell out of mine. I came off a 08' 450X and this EFI is awesome so far.

I will say I live in TX but took the bike to our cabin in Colorado. Base riding was at 9900 ft and all was fine, but rapid climbs to 12,000 it did ok, but not as smooth as I expected for EFI. Was fine 250rpm-ish and above, but it seemed to want to stall, only did once, but I kept it above idle to keep it from stalling...maybe over worried, maybe not. This was on a rapid climb and decent. On the way up I was on MAP 2 by mistake. switched to MAP1 once I was done and it seemed "better" but still not 100% as refined and perfect as I thought it should be.

All of my riding here in TX it has been 100% flawless.

Here is the climb. Notice the angle of the power poles. My math had this climb at 22-28% grade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drhgFdOdkvs
vwprostock

Postby ricoyam » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:56 pm

Doesn't speak to the question but side by side with my friends injected KTMs, my 430 almost always starts quicker. Not needing to reject could be an advantage. Here on the US west coast it's not unheard of to ride from sea level to 10,000 ft in a day. I've had my bike up to 6-7000 ft without a hitch so I expect rejecting is not going to be a must do thing.

It'll be interesting to see how the injected Betas compare to the KTMs over time.
Rick "Rico" Yamane
'15 430 RS
+20 or so others
S.F. Peninsula
ricoyam

Postby dirtbird » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:18 pm

vwprostock wrote:New here but bought a 15' 350RR Rae back in April. So far I love the hell out of mine. I came off a 08' 450X and this EFI is awesome so far.

I will say I live in TX but took the bike to our cabin in Colorado. Base riding was at 9900 ft and all was fine, but rapid climbs to 12,000 it did ok, but not as smooth as I expected for EFI. Was fine 250rpm-ish and above, but it seemed to want to stall, only did once, but I kept it above idle to keep it from stalling...maybe over worried, maybe not. This was on a rapid climb and decent. On the way up I was on MAP 2 by mistake. switched to MAP1 once I was done and it seemed "better" but still not 100% as refined and perfect as I thought it should be.

All of my riding here in TX it has been 100% flawless.

Here is the climb. Notice the angle of the power poles. My math had this climb at 22-28% grade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drhgFdOdkvs

WOW..... that's really impressive. Despite the llong video, is one of the few that I watched all of it.
I guess most scary is returning to the base. If you fell, you go down for days :lol: :lol:
Have you considered to organize a hill climb.... sorry a mountain climb race there? I guess you'd get entries from everywhere.

Taking into account the altitude, engine sounds good. Probably you loose alot of engine power anyway and an RR480 EFI would be ideal for that environment. How do you cope yourself? Do you need time to adjust? Do you feel tired easily?
'10 RR450, '11 RR450, '12 RR498, '13 RR300, '13 RR300 Racing, '14 RR250/300 Racing - all gone
'17 RR300
dirtbird

Postby vwprostock » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:58 pm

Well....this hill is national forest/power company land. No honest idea if I was supposed to be on it...lol. I know some buddies that also elk hunt the area so I am 75% sure its not "illegal". I have tried this hill since I was probably 15 (now 44) and only made it on my WR500 back in the day. Nothing else had the HP and/or throttle control to not stall, dig a hole, or flat out run out of power. My GF was on a 13' CRF150 and just tried to get up one hill, well behind my start in the video, and the 150 wouldn't even get close to making it.

Anyway. I grew up in Colorado Springs (6000 ft) but have lived in TX now 18 years. Just my own opinion is this.

If you drive up there...i.e. slower ascent, the net effect or risk of altitude sickness is greatly reduced. The huge huge key is to take breaks, slow down, dont run, etc as SOON as you are barely winded or tired. IF you try and be cool guy and fight through it, you will get sick, and there is no turning back, and you ruin your trip. And water...tons of it. Its so dry there that you must stay hydrated, even when the temp is 40-70 deg F. Seems odd when your not tired or sweating, but ya gotta keep the water flowin.

Now...if someone from sea level flies into Denver or Colorado Springs, I pick them up and we head right to the cabin (9900 ft on the porch) they are MUCH higher risk and I keep a close eye on them.

Hope that helps a little, but no matter what you do, you will get tired and worn out twice if not three times as quick up there.

Greg
vwprostock

Postby mtdirtbag » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:12 am

Re: altitude change. I rode the Colo 500 back in 2004 and one of the first things suggested during the orientation was to take an aspirin first thing in the morning. Since I'm on an aspirin regimen anyway I only took a normal aspirin the first morning and then my regular 80mg each evening and did not have any problems, although my YZ was a little asthmatic when we went over Imogene pass at 13,800 ft.
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Next

Return to Engine - 4 Stroke