Ideal 4T SAG?

4 stroke engine,carburation, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Ideal 4T SAG?

Postby redrider » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:35 pm

my 300 2T is great at 100mm sag. Where is everyone running the 4T ? Still breaking in the suspension but set it at about 102mm. Seems pretty good there.

Opinions.....
redrider

Re: Ideal 4T SAG?

Postby Marty Moose » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:21 pm

I prefer mine at 100mm loaded and 32mm static on the Beta.
Marty Moose

Postby Johnny Depp » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:14 pm

96mm , but it now always wants inside lines. Forks 3rd line, 6.0 spring 200lbs lots of MX
Johnny Depp

Postby redrider » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:28 am

Johnny Depp wrote:96mm , but it now always wants inside lines. Forks 3rd line, 6.0 spring 200lbs lots of MX

Forks 3rd line..... Counting down from the top of the fork? IF so, that's a lot more than I've ever dropped forks in a triple, though I've read where someone else ran them at the 3rd line as well. Currently have mine at the first line down from the top. It dives into turns ok, but is amazingly stable in the straights and exiting turns right now. I guess the more I raise the forks the more it will trade one for the other as it affects the trail (if I'm thinking about that right). I'm going to play with the sag from 96 to 104 more after I put about 10 hours on the suspension.

Riding this 350 makes me think I don't have my suspension where it should be on my 300. Will have to look into that....
redrider

Postby Johnny Depp » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:21 am

No headshake ever. I saw a photo in Enduro21 of the works 4 stroke set up the same way. Prior to this I had several front end wash out crashes in bad traction conditions, mostly dry. Again, it falls into the inside line and you have to "try" to take the outside line, it doesn't do it naturally with this setting.
Johnny Depp

Postby Knox Enduro » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:47 am

redrider wrote:
Johnny Depp wrote:96mm , but it now always wants inside lines. Forks 3rd line, 6.0 spring 200lbs lots of MX

Forks 3rd line..... Counting down from the top of the fork? IF so, that's a lot more than I've ever dropped forks in a triple, though I've read where someone else ran them at the 3rd line as well. Currently have mine at the first line down from the top. It dives into turns ok, but is amazingly stable in the straights and exiting turns right now. I guess the more I raise the forks the more it will trade one for the other as it affects the trail (if I'm thinking about that right). I'm going to play with the sag from 96 to 104 more after I put about 10 hours on the suspension.

Riding this 350 makes me think I don't have my suspension where it should be on my 300. Will have to look into that....

I believe the 4t Beta's are more stable than the 2t's, also maybe the new Sachs TC's are really good?
Knox Enduro

Postby redrider » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:19 am

My new Sachs TCs are great out of the box. Still breaking in them so we'll see where they are after 10 hours or so. (~6 hrs now) I'm 185lbs and initially thought they were sprung for my weight, but a little digging into the BYOB suspension pages it looks like the TC springs are .46 and the open "gold" Sachs are .48 (~185lb) from the factory. (??) Every set of Sachs forks I've owned on GGs I've ended up with one or two spring rates less than what Sachs called for. Both the Race Edition and the Base model have 5.4 kg springs on the shock which is for a 185lb rider.
If any of that is incorrect, someone please chime in.

As of right now, the suspension feels incredible on this bike. I'm sure some of this is due to the planted nature of a 4T vs a 2T, but with very little seat time I'm already incredibly comfortable on this bike. IMO at this point anyway, the SACHS TCs are going to be liked a lot.
redrider

Postby Johnny Depp » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:56 am

Walt, It's good to hear your initial impressions are positive, especially the fork. If I recall you are an A rider doing single track, so what direction I went with mine could be a bit different. I'm really hoping you can lead the way!

I would back off my rear spring rate for mostly single track more supple action, but it helps for MX. I will say that during your setup adjustments that for me the suspension action and stability were never a problem even before my changes. It has been all about front end traction and all of the moves have been toward more front end bias. Flat dry packed ground with no ruts or berms will expose the issue easiest. Decreasing radius snail circle turns and figure 8's help identify the issue quickly.

For reference, I am still recovering from a broken tibia from losing the front resulting in locking the front brake and an endo while racing making a very aggressive pass on the 3rd corner of a scramble. This after all my setup efforts and multiple times losing the front under extreme lean angles really pushing it. So I do have experience in this matter...
Johnny Depp

Postby Marty Moose » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:59 pm

Johnny Depp wrote:Walt, It's good to hear your initial impressions are positive, especially the fork. If I recall you are an A rider doing single track, so what direction I went with mine could be a bit different. I'm really hoping you can lead the way!

I would back off my rear spring rate for mostly single track more supple action, but it helps for MX. I will say that during your setup adjustments that for me the suspension action and stability were never a problem even before my changes. It has been all about front end traction and all of the moves have been toward more front end bias. Flat dry packed ground with no ruts or berms will expose the issue easiest. Decreasing radius snail circle turns and figure 8's help identify the issue quickly.

For reference, I am still recovering from a broken tibia from losing the front resulting in locking the front brake and an endo while racing making a very aggressive pass on the 3rd corner of a scramble. This after all my setup efforts and multiple times losing the front under extreme lean angles really pushing it. So I do have experience in this matter...

Johnny what bike do you have ?
Marty Moose

Postby Johnny Depp » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:42 pm

2015 Beta 500 RS. Do you blokes have the RS in Aussie?
Johnny Depp

Next

Return to Engine - 4 Stroke