2013/14 498RR jetting

4 stroke engine,carburation, EFI, and exhaust discussion

2013/14 498RR jetting

Postby Arctra » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:03 am

I've been looking at the Beta User Manual off the Beta website and I have noticed there are 2 jetting options - the "Homolog." and "Race" settings. It makes sense that the Homologated setting is leaner than the Race setting, but I was wondering if anyone has tried the "Race" settings with their stock pipe? Basically looks like you go from a 175 main jet to a 180, move the needle up from the 1st needle clip to the 4th position, and lean out the mixture control screw a quarter of a turn. Doesn't look anything too drastic but it should certainly wake the bike up a bit.
Arctra

Re: 2013/14 498RR jetting

Postby Arctra » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:35 am

So I took my carb off my 2014 498RR Race Edition today and discovered that my carb was the "Race" jetting.
Main Jet - 180
Idle/Pilot Jet - 45
Starter Jet - 85
Needle - OBDVS
Needle clip position - 4th slot (middle slot)
Main Air Jet - 200
Pilot Air Jet - 100

Now, with this jetting and my stock pipe I was suffering from starvation at times, and a lot of decel popping. I was convinced the jetting wasn't right.

I was wrong. When we started playing with the Accelerator Pump (AP) squirt we discovered that the squirt wasn't clean and after several pumps the squirt stopped altogether. After investigating we discovered there was something blocking the squirt mast. Using a solvent and trying to use compressed air to clear the dirt out didn't work, so we resorted to using some wire to push through the aperture then blast it out with air again. Then it seemed to be nice and clear and there was a good strong consistent squirt.

We fitted a Boysen Quickshot, did the O-ring mod, and put an adjustable fuel screw on so next time I go out I hope to middle the fuel screw and then dial in the Quickshot. Initial indications from running the bike on the stand are that the decel popping is gone and the throttle response is a lot more responsive.

Incidentally, the Pilot air jet is normally twice the size of the pilot jet, so it should probably be a 90 rather than a 100. I might look to change that in the future but for now I think it shouldn't be a problem. Just though someone out there would like to know.
Arctra

Return to Engine - 4 Stroke