tool to adjust engine braking on 4t

4 stroke engine,carburation, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Re: tool to adjust engine braking on 4t

Postby Hammer » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:05 am

I find it interesting how you underestimate people's ability to do things for themselves. Have you used tune ecu software? I personally have made quite a few folks enjoy their bikes more with a few clicks on a screen. The fact that people are copying his software just proves to me that there is a want and need for this sort of thing. At the very least people should have the right to gain access to fault codes. OBD2 comes to mind.
Hammer

Postby twowheels » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:19 pm

Hammer wrote:I find it interesting how you underestimate people's ability to do things for themselves. Have you used tune ecu software? I personally have made quite a few folks enjoy their bikes more with a few clicks on a screen. The fact that people are copying his software just proves to me that there is a want and need for this sort of thing. At the very least people should have the right to gain access to fault codes. OBD2 comes to mind.

Glad you're interested. And yes I have tuned multiple different saftey-critical control systems, although not tuneecu.

Knowing what you do for a living, you are by definition a "professional user". Not all are. However, when fault codes are standardized, which I believe they are for 2017, riders will be able to pull codes.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby jaysktms » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:27 pm

So the tuning for less engine braking is the increase of the idle speed. Am I reading this right. So more idle speed less engine braking
jaysktms

Postby Deck1 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:55 am

Yes, higher idle speed decreases engine braking. I used to do this racing 4 stroke carb bike on MX tracks. It helped me ride smoother, and less worry about stalling in tight turns.
My brother is just the opposite, wants more engine braking, to act like a brake when trail riding.
Dale in Colfax
2016 500RS
Deck1

Postby twowheels » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:36 am

jaysktms wrote:So the tuning for less engine braking is the increase of the idle speed. Am I reading this right. So more idle speed less engine braking

It is not "base idle" you are adjusting. It is the "dynamic idle" (yes, I just invented terms) that the engine returns to after you chop the throttle. Beta uses a stepper motor to accomplish this.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Previous

Return to Engine - 4 Stroke