tool to adjust engine braking on 4t

4 stroke engine,carburation, EFI, and exhaust discussion

tool to adjust engine braking on 4t

Postby betadan390 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:33 pm

does anyone know about a the engine braking on a 16 4t
betadan390

Re: tool to adjust engine braking on 4t

Postby ballisticexchris » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:45 pm

Yes, the 2016 FI 4T's have 2 different engine braking settings. You have to take it to the dealer so it can be remapped. I imagine the way it works is the remapping controls how quickly the rpm's drop when throttle is closed. The device will fully diagnose, repair and remap the fuel injection systems on the new Beta's. I'm sure you can purchase the unit as well and do it yourself.

Another option that works really well is to get the Rekluse Core 3 clutch. You have a bunch of engine braking options using various weights and springs.
ballisticexchris

Postby betadan390 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:34 pm

Thanks for that info
betadan390

Postby danketchpel » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:17 pm

ballisticexchris wrote:Yes, the 2016 FI 4T's have 2 different engine braking settings. You have to take it to the dealer so it can be remapped. I imagine the way it works is the remapping controls how quickly the rpm's drop when throttle is closed. The device will fully diagnose, repair and remap the fuel injection systems on the new Beta's. I'm sure you can purchase the unit as well and do it yourself.

Thanks for the info.

I'd like mine to be adjusted for more engine braking. I like the traditional feel and find it quite useful.
danketchpel

Postby twowheels » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:09 pm

danketchpel wrote:
ballisticexchris wrote:Yes, the 2016 FI 4T's have 2 different engine braking settings. You have to take it to the dealer so it can be remapped. I imagine the way it works is the remapping controls how quickly the rpm's drop when throttle is closed. The device will fully diagnose, repair and remap the fuel injection systems on the new Beta's. I'm sure you can purchase the unit as well and do it yourself.

Thanks for the info.

I'd like mine to be adjusted for more engine braking. I like the traditional feel and find it quite useful.

Well, there's always one :lol:

Currently Beta offers maps that increase the *chop throttle idle* 100 and 300rpm for the stock pipes, and 0, 100 and 300rpm for the FMF pipes. I suppose you'd have to change valve timing or increase compression or something similar to add more engine braking.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby danketchpel » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:10 am

twowheels wrote:
danketchpel wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Well, there's always one :lol:

Currently Beta offers maps that increase the *chop throttle idle* 100 and 300rpm for the stock pipes, and 0, 100 and 300rpm for the FMF pipes. I suppose you'd have to change valve timing or increase compression or something similar to add more engine braking.

I discussed with my dealer and he told me the same thing, 3 choices, 0, 100, 300 rpm higher idle speeds which translates into less engine braking.

Mine is at the stock 1,900 rpm idle speed so the most engine braking and it's OK. I asked if the idle could be reduced to 1,500 but no option for that.
danketchpel

Postby Hammer » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:24 am

This lock down on the latest EFI systems in pure BS in my opinion. Folks outside of the factory have been making better maps for all sorts of EFI vehicles for years.
Hammer

Postby twowheels » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:54 pm

Hammer wrote:This lock down on the latest EFI systems in pure BS in my opinion. Folks outside of the factory have been making better maps for all sorts of EFI vehicles for years.

Maybe so, but that's Beta's way of doing business. There's conservative to a fault, but apparently after 105 or so years it has served them well.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
twowheels

Postby Hammer » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:27 am

twowheels wrote:
Hammer wrote:This lock down on the latest EFI systems in pure BS in my opinion. Folks outside of the factory have been making better maps for all sorts of EFI vehicles for years.

Maybe so, but that's Beta's way of doing business. There's conservative to a fault, but apparently after 105 or so years it has served them well.

That "what was good enough for my granpa is good enough for me" stuff won't fly in this internet age. All it will take is one smart guy to buy a Beta and break the code. Then he will sell it to you for $5 in a iphone app. I think manufacturers need to see that some people want true ownership of their $12000 motorcycle and sell them a proper tuner before some else does.

eg. http://www.tuneecu.com/
Hammer

Postby twowheels » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:09 am

Hammer wrote:
twowheels wrote:

That "what was good enough for my granpa is good enough for me" stuff won't fly in this internet age. All it will take is one smart guy to buy a Beta and break the code. Then he will sell it to you for $5 in a iphone app. I think manufacturers need to see that some people want true ownership of their $12000 motorcycle and sell them a proper tuner before some else does.

eg. http://www.tuneecu.com/

Very Important !!!!!! This software is not a TOY but a tool for professionals.
If this software is not correctly applied, the engine can be destroyed.
At use of this software, under certain circumstance can invalidate your warranty.

>>> taken from tuneecu.com, on which the first line is a warning not to use "fake" versions that are popping up. :lol:

Additionally, since Beta pays the warranty ... it turns out that engine control software isn't a lot different from any commercially available software in that the developers don't want you screwing with it. I understand the desire to be able to tune the EFI systems, but see it from the other side as well.
twowheels

Next

Return to Engine - 4 Stroke