dreaded oil question..

4 stroke engine,carburation, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Re: dreaded oil question..

Postby GMP » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:25 am

From my experience in the Beta trans, there was absolutely no difference in feel and appearance when changed between Rotella 5W-40W and Amsoil 0W-40W. Both good stuff but the Shell oil a whole lot cheaper. Truck stops should have Rotella in bulk.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby BarkSlayer » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:34 am

I'm an Amsoil fan...use it in my street bikes and premix it (Interceptor) in all of my two-stroke off-road bikes for many years now. My four-strokes seem to shift better and the Interceptor premix burns so clean that there's minimal exhaust smoke and no hint of carbon buildup anywhere on the internals when the engine is inspected. Amsoil is widely available and not quite as costly as some of the premium Euro brand full synthetics.
"If guns cause crime, then all of mine are defective." - Ted Nugent
BarkSlayer

Postby webmaster » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:55 pm

Amsoil seems to make good stuff. But one thing has annoyed me about their qualifications and so I have gone elsewhere.

They don't pay the money to meet a qualification/ get certification. e.g. instead of saying "meets JASO-MA" it says "use where JASO-MA is recommended". I prefer to "know" what specification it actually meets...

jeff
Webmaster
Beta Riders Club
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby NJZoltan » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:20 pm

Cruiser wrote:ok,, so, well, here it goes. The oil question. time for the first oil change on my 350 and I'm having issue finding the motul oils the book requires. 7100 10/40 not too much an issue. but the transoil expert 10/40? So far zip.. I did find one place that had a bottle of it in 10/30. So,, is everyone using factory recommended oil or on your own favorites? and what compares to the transoil? First bike I've ever had that has separate oils.
Thanks,
Steve

Beta sells it and I believe Motosport sells it.
NJZoltan

Postby Glenn » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:25 pm

Just get a quality fully synthetic oil and be happy. Manufacturers change preferred oils regularly-it is a commercial relationship arrangement.
I use a variety of quality oils in all of my bikes dependent on who has a special at the time of need. I also buy in 20 litre tubs for better economics
Glenn

Postby missin44 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:14 pm

As other pointed out the oil needs to meet the spec in the manual. To put a bit of a finer point on it regarding the manual "requiring" Motul or any brand, this isn't true. As long it a given oil meets the spec required any brand has you covered. Brand is irrelevant. Someone may have all ready pointed this out and I missed it.
missin44

Postby Cruiser » Sun May 07, 2017 6:18 am

required,, no but was going for the recommended for the first oil change then going with the usual after. Wanted to get a base line for feel of the transmission etc. last 100 miles I have the rottellaR synthetic in it. Engine seams to like it came out clear as could be after 100 miles. Did not like the shifting much or the clutch feel. Going to mess around with a few and see what works best.
Cruiser
16 350RR
04 450/525sx/exc frankenbike
Cruiser

Postby Muddaholic » Tue May 16, 2017 1:53 pm

Good post and reply's. Thank you.
Muddaholic

Previous

Return to Engine - 4 Stroke