How one oil filter with two chambers?

4 stroke engine,carburation, EFI, and exhaust discussion

How one oil filter with two chambers?

Postby mferring » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:04 pm

Hi folks, new member here. Will be picking up my 2017 500RR-S in the next week or so. Am looking forward to riding in the mountains of NM! I will be looking to you all to help educate this new Beta guy. Also, I am going to try and do as much of the maintenance myself as I can. I have not had a lot of experience in this regard, but I am willing to try! I retired last year so I have plenty of time and will take it slow. Many thanks for putting up with my not very knowledgeable questions in the future!

So my first question is can any of you wise folks explain to me how a single oil filter can filter the oil from two separate chambers and not expose one chamber to the other (and possibly transfer oil from one to the other)?

Also, is there a thread, you tube, or some such that gives a good step by step how to check the valve clearances? The maintenance manual online appears to be less than clear in this regard. In fact, unless I was looking at the wrong thing, the maintenance manual seems to mostly be about disassembly and assembly of the engine vs various specific maintenance activities.

Many thanks

Mark
mferring

Re: How one oil filter with two chambers?

Postby bikesparky » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:54 pm

The oil filter only filters the engine oil not the gearbox, same as in similar engines of other brands.
The gearbox plug normally has a magnet to trap the metallic bits and that's it.
No need to fine filter it really as the oil doesn't go in to sensitive parts like the cylinder and valve train.
2 stroke engine gearboxes don't have a filter neither for the same reason.

The manual is not the best I ever seen. Keep in mind that none of the manuals regardless of brands is very specific in regards to mechanical procedures.
They start from the understanding that you are a mechanic if you want to tackle that job.
Hence Haynes manuals made a living out of books in the old days where they explained the full procedure so owners could do service and maintenance.

Haven't done any Beta valves but I'm pretty sure they are not harder than any of the competition.
bikesparky

Postby betaboy » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:08 am

Hi
You can download the workshop manual from Beta USA.
Hope this helps you out.
betaboy

Postby mferring » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:27 am

Thanks guys, makes sense on the oil explanation. Appreciate the insight. My WR250R has a single oil reservoir for both the engine and gearbox, so I had not run into this before.

Thanks for the comments on valve clearance check. I do have the Beta manual already and have perused it. Perhaps I missed it, but I did not find what looked like the procedure for the valve clearance check. If I just missed it I would appreciate someone pointing out page or section number.

Since I have never done a valve check before and am somewhat apprehensive about tearing into the engine, I was hoping someone could direct me to a step by step procedure for the valve clearance check for our bikes. Hopefully something like a you tube video with someone performing it for a 500.

Appreciate any help you can give. And looking forward to the huge leap in performance from my WR.
mferring

Postby Enmerdeur » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:15 pm

I think you need to download the engine manual for the valve check procedure. Separate manual from the owners manual.
2017 KTM 450 XCF
2014 Beta 300 RR
Enmerdeur

Return to Engine - 4 Stroke