Break in procedure

4 stroke engine,carburation, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Break in procedure

Postby firffighter » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:35 pm

New to the site, but 47 year old vet woods rider. Possibly picking up a new Beta 390rs next week. Owned tons of different bikes over the years, but never purchased brand new.

Just curious what other's are doing for breaking the FI thumpers in?

Any thoughts on oil type non-synthetic vs synthetic for breaking in and when to switch to full synthetic?

Appreciate any advice.
firffighter

Re: Break in procedure

Postby nevermind » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:25 am

I practice the mototune version of engine break-in. I change all the oils after only a few miles or hours and use what I normally use, no such thing as special break-in oil.
nevermind

Postby jlamb4483 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:43 pm

I've had my 390rr-s for a few weeks now and have 7 hours on it. I'm not saying what I did is the correct thing to do, but here is what I did - The first hour and a half was ridden in the backroads (pavement) with varying elevation. I just rode it as I would my DR650, but maybe just a tad slower. The next hour and half I rode it to a small bike park and tried to vary the rpms and put load on it rather than sit at constant rpms on pavement. Did a short ride there on the easy trails and rode it normally but never giving it full throttle or revving terribly high (which is riding normally for me). I changed both engine/trans oil at 3 hours. Since then, I've been riding twice and just have tried not to rev it out completely, been close though. I plan to change the oil again at 8/9 hours, then again around 20-25 since i really only ride single track in the dirt. I'll plan to check the valves around 25/30 hours also. If it gets hard to start prior to that I will check them immediately. It's a risk, but that's what I'm planning to do.
jlamb4483

Postby webmaster » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:50 pm

I like temperature cycling an engine when it's young and take it easy. It will run hotter during break in due to increased friction - so I stop and let it cool down often. If on the trail - I will initially go 10-15 minutes then stop and let it cool off. I will repeat this, going a little longer each time.

In my mind, a good break in procedure is more important in a four stroke over a two stroke as there are many more moving parts...

- Avoid constant throttle or constant rpm operation.
- Don't load engine excessively by bogging etc.
- Be easy on her for the first days riding, but like I said, don't lug it.

Change oil after break in... All oils these days are highly refined - so I don't put alot of stock in the old arguments of breaking in on dino oil, etc. I have no issue running full syn from break in - it's usually factory fill on many motors these days. My thoughts are that there are alot of hot spots in the motor during break in and the syn is well suited to deal with it... And some motors require synthetic due to localized oil temps in the motor (auto or moto).

jeff

p.s. Would love to go riding with you some day. I live in beaverton...
Webmaster
Beta Riders Club
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby firffighter » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:12 pm

Excellent advice!

Seems like from research that 2-3, 15 minute rides at mid throttle range while varying the throttle responses is consensus. Of course letting it cool in between with an oil change following these 2-3 rides.

This is my plan.
firffighter

Postby Johnno » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:39 am

I just rode mine. As it was a completely new experience, not owned a 2T for decades, the idea of holding it wide open along fire trials wasn't really happening.

I did an hour or 2 on my own and dropped the gearbox oil.

From there I just rode it. I didn't flog it, I didn't baby it either.
Loose...
Johnno

Return to Engine - 4 Stroke