Throttle cable ??

4 stroke engine,carburation, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Re: Throttle cable ??

Postby Lonesome Dave » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:44 am

Cruiser or Beta Jockey, do either of you have any BEFORE pics. All I have is the after photos I sent you.
I started writing this up this morning. If you could send the pics to me or just post them and I'll add my after photos. Thanks, LD
Older - Wiser - Faster !
Lonesome Dave

Re: Throttle cable ??

Postby Lonesome Dave » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:40 pm

I have a 2016 390rr (FI) with Woods High Bars and BRP mount for a Scotts sub mount stabilizer. Total rise of the handlebars is about 2 inches (guessing, maybe a little higher) I bought this bike used and at the end of my riding season. Therefore, I didn't ride it at all before putting the above parts on. So I don't really know if my throttle cable was a problem when it was stock. I just put on the above bars and mount because that's what I like. To help with the "touchy" throttle that the fuel injected bikes are known for, I installed a G2 Throttle tamer. It helped a lot, but was still touchy. I called G2 about getting a different cam. They said with the Beta, that's all there is left, the cam is small as possible, in other words, they tried and can't do any better.

Last spring I was getting ready for a Moab trip coming up. By now I thought the idle seemed a bit high. I looked into it and found that the idle would sometimes change when the steering was turned to max from one side to the other. I fixed the varying idle with different cable routing. At the same time, I tried adjusting the cable at both ends to try and give it some free play. Although I knew the cable was not effecting the idle now, it still didn't have any extra play. The cable should have enough length to have about a 1/16 inch of free play when you twist the throttle slightly.

I went to Moab, and had a pretty good "off" with the major contributing factor the touchy throttle. Short story; I jumped a big crack in a rock, lost balance but twisted the throttle as I was trying to regain balance. With no play at the throttle, and unbelievable traction on Moab rocks, she took off straight up a bigger rock until physics took over. I fell on my ass about 4 or 5 feet. :oops: Yes, it was my fault, but that damn touchy throttle certainly didn't help either. When I got back home I continued to ice my ass and I decided I was going to fix it.

First I adjusted both the top and bottom of the throttle cable to make sure you have the cable at it's longest adjustment. Assuming it's still too tight, read on!

The fix; You can take the Gold Colored Knurled Jam Nut off at the twist throttle housing and screw the threaded piece in further, but you must screw it in tight and now there's no adjustment on that end. This will give you about a .125 to .150 thousands more length. Which I did. It helped, but still not enough. Try this first before taking any further steps. Also, understand that taking the throttle twist assembly apart is a PIA just to try it. In my case, after modifying the lower end, I had to put the Gold Jam Nut back on so I could adjust length a little shorter.

The second part is to take the plastic cover off at the other end of the cable. When you look inside, you see where the cable mounts. See photo. It has a jam nut on both sides. The length of the housing is pretty long where the two jam nuts tighten against the housing. My fix was simply to cut this housing shorter to gain some extra length. Right where the red arrow is pointing, I cut about a 1/4 inch (.250) off and readjusted. Keep in mind this photo is after the fix, not before. This gave me enough length to have a little play at the throttle.

As I said above, it gave me too much play. I once again had to take apart the twist throttle and put back on the Gold Colored Jam nut.

How to cut it; I happened to have the right tool for the job. I simply reached into the area with a small die grinder and cut it down shorter. A Dremel Tool might also work or filing it off would work.

Remember, you can take the cable off and send into Motion Pro and they will copy it and add whatever extra length you want. I just didn't want to spend the time or money so I did this.

Hope this make sense, if not let me know. LD
Attachments
BetaFix3.jpg
BetaFix3.jpg (303.94 KiB) Viewed 3009 times
Older - Wiser - Faster !
Lonesome Dave

Previous

Return to Engine - 4 Stroke