Throttle cable ??

4 stroke engine,carburation, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Throttle cable ??

Postby Cruiser » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:32 pm

Does anyone make a longer throttle cable for the Fi fuel strokes? My cable has zero play at the throttle. Both ends are bottomed out. The cable housing is also a bit short so it has to be lined up perfectly. Found a slight tug or twist will pull the throttle open past 1/4 so in the wrong place it can be a surprise. Believe me on that one. Got a bit sideways in a muddy section Saturday and came very close with a tree.
Cruiser
16 350RR
04 450/525sx/exc frankenbike
Cruiser

Re: Throttle cable ??

Postby NZMarkb » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:38 am

I know Motion Pro make a longer cable for 2 strokes
If your not willing to stand behind our troops
Then try standing in front of them
NZMarkb

Postby Lonesome Dave » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:47 am

Cruiser wrote:Does anyone make a longer throttle cable for the Fi fuel strokes? My cable has zero play at the throttle. Both ends are bottomed out. The cable housing is also a bit short so it has to be lined up perfectly. Found a slight tug or twist will pull the throttle open past 1/4 so in the wrong place it can be a surprise. Believe me on that one. Got a bit sideways in a muddy section Saturday and came very close with a tree.

Cruiser, I sent you a PM with my phone number. I had the exact problem, which contributed in one good wreck and a couple of scares this last spring on my 16, 390rr. Part of the my answer was a G2 throttle tamer, but the cable was still too short and I had no free play in the twist throttle.
I just figured I was the only one. I talked to G2 and others about the problem, and yes, Motion Pro can make a new cable, but I came up with a fix.
Kind of a lengthy explanation on what I did, but pretty simple. It will save you some time. LD
Older - Wiser - Faster !
Lonesome Dave

Postby Rv4Bob » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:48 pm

Mine did the same thing, the dealer re-routed the cable for some more slack.
Also the cable was hanging up on one of the mounting bolts for the handle bars.
So make sure the cable is not hitting one of the 4 bolts in the center of the HB's.
Mine caused only one crash, but several miffed hikers I almost ran over going down a rocky trail.
Rv4Bob

Postby Beta Jockey » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:09 pm

Lonesome Dave wrote:
Cruiser wrote:Does anyone make a longer throttle cable for the Fi fuel strokes? My cable has zero play at the throttle. Both ends are bottomed out. The cable housing is also a bit short so it has to be lined up perfectly. Found a slight tug or twist will pull the throttle open past 1/4 so in the wrong place it can be a surprise. Believe me on that one. Got a bit sideways in a muddy section Saturday and came very close with a tree.

Cruiser, I sent you a PM with my phone number. I had the exact problem, which contributed in one good wreck and a couple of scares this last spring on my 16, 390rr. Part of the my answer was a G2 throttle tamer, but the cable was still too short and I had no free play in the twist throttle.
I just figured I was the only one. I talked to G2 and others about the problem, and yes, Motion Pro can make a new cable, but I came up with a fix.
Kind of a lengthy explanation on what I did, but pretty simple. It will save you some time. LD

Hi Dave,

Would you mind sharing what your solution is? I also have a 2016 390RR. I installed a Scotts steering stabilizer a couple of months ago with the under bar mount which raised the bars a few inches. When I'm at full handlebar lock to the left the throttle cable is ever so slightly taught, but enough to pull the cable and make the engine rev higher. This is also with the throttle assembly rotated inward on the handlebars. I don't know if my best bet is to try to re-route the throttle cable or buy a longer length cable.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Beta Jockey

Postby Lonesome Dave » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:16 pm

Beta Jockey,
Give me a couple of days, just started a new job and have been pretty busy. I talked to Cruiser a while back on the phone. After I sent him a couple of pics he said makes prefect sense. For now, I will say if your throttle/rpm is changing when you max the steering either way, I'd start trying to re-route the cable.

One thing you can try is to take the throttle housing apart and remove the large gold colored locking nut and screw it back in as far as you can. This will give you a little extra cable. It's a pain to do, just to see if it gives you enough play. After my fix, I had to change it back because I had too much cable play.

I'll send you a pm
Older - Wiser - Faster !
Lonesome Dave

Postby Beta Jockey » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:32 pm

Dave,

It was nice talking with you this afternoon. Thanks again for your tips and insight on this issue.

If I have time this weekend I'll start poking around and looking to see how I can get a little more slack from the stock cable.

In the event I simply want to install a longer throttle cable, does anyone know of a part number from Motion Pro or anywhere else?
Beta Jockey

Postby Cruiser » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:08 am

I did the fix lonesome Dave told me. It works. I'll send him my pictures and see if he wants to do a write up. Only issue I have now is hard starting. I think my cable was too tight when they set zero for the TPS switch. It's a bit finicky at start and low idle. But I now can adjust my cable a little and I safety wired my cable to the throttle housing. I'll be going to a beta dealer to get a few things done, tps and maybe a different map as I heard the 17's had a better map. I'll keep you posted..

And Dave, thank you!!
Cruiser
16 350RR
04 450/525sx/exc frankenbike
Cruiser

Postby Lonesome Dave » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:37 am

Cruiser wrote:I did the fix lonesome Dave told me. It works. I'll send him my pictures and see if he wants to do a write up. Only issue I have now is hard starting. I think my cable was too tight when they set zero for the TPS switch. It's a bit finicky at start and low idle. But I now can adjust my cable a little and I safety wired my cable to the throttle housing. I'll be going to a beta dealer to get a few things done, tps and maybe a different map as I heard the 17's had a better map. I'll keep you posted..

And Dave, thank you!!

You bet!
I'll send you my email for the pics. I wonder how many others might have had this problems resulting in an "off" or "oh-shit" scare.
LD
Older - Wiser - Faster !
Lonesome Dave

Postby dznnf7 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:51 am

I found this thread after looking around for stabilizer reviews; I'd love to see those pictures myself! I have a 17 390 RR-S, so it's a perfect fit with what I'm thinking of doing.
dznnf7

Next

Return to Engine - 4 Stroke