Low fuel and FI fault lights intermittent

4 stroke engine,carburation, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Low fuel and FI fault lights intermittent

Postby Sweepea » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:48 pm

New to me 2016 350RR with 150 miles (7hrs.). The low fuel and FI lights both light up intermittently. Bike runs fine, and yes it's fueled up. Any guesses?
Sweepea

Re: Low fuel and FI fault lights intermittent

Postby OscarFox » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:56 pm

I had an FI light come on when I had a faulty fuel sender connection. Might be the reason for both your lights. I would start there
'15 250RR Race
'18 390RR Race
OscarFox

Postby Kayeffess » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:10 am

My low fuel light was always on. Dealer said it had something to do with ethanol in fuel. I’ve never put any fuel with ethanol in the bike. Clear tank, I just disconnected it. I figure i don’t need an idiot light. If I run out of fuel with a clear tank, I’m the idiot.
Kayeffess

Postby Sweepea » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:08 am

OscarFox wrote:I had an FI light come on when I had a faulty fuel sender connection. Might be the reason for both your lights. I would start there

Where is the fuel sender connection?
Thanks.
Sweepea

Postby OscarFox » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:16 am

Sweepea wrote:
OscarFox wrote:I had an FI light come on when I had a faulty fuel sender connection. Might be the reason for both your lights. I would start there

Thanks.

Depends what tank you have. Underneath you should see a wired 2-cable molex connector. One end plugs into the tank, kind of where the petcock would be on a carb'd bike and the other end connects into the bikes wiring harness. Hope that helps. The molex connectors are notoriously bad, so you may have got some water in there or something. In my case one of the wires broke out of the connector.
'15 250RR Race
'18 390RR Race
OscarFox

Postby Sweepea » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:39 pm

OscarFox wrote:
Sweepea wrote:

Thanks.

Depends what tank you have. Underneath you should see a wired 2-cable molex connector. One end plugs into the tank, kind of where the petcock would be on a carb'd bike and the other end connects into the bikes wiring harness. Hope that helps. The molex connectors are notoriously bad, so you may have got some water in there or something. In my case one of the wires broke out of the connector.

Thanks team. Lifted the tank up and found the loose connectors. Why such cheap-ass connectors?
Sweepea

Postby NJZoltan » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:45 pm

I have a 2016 350RR. I had the same problem. The bike, at the time, was under warranty. The dealer replaced the fuel level sensor. You can always test it. Hope this helps.
NJZoltan

Return to Engine - 4 Stroke