Beta vs KTM/Husky 4T emission standards street legal

4 stroke engine,carburation, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Beta vs KTM/Husky 4T emission standards street legal

Postby worstell » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:24 pm

So this is based on a thread from TT.

Folks here might be interested to learn that Beta RR-S models are subject to less stringent tailpipe emission standards than KTM/Husky street legal models. This is because Beta meets the definition of a small-volume manufacturer. Beta must meet an emission standard of 1.4 grams of hydrocarbons (HC)+ nitrogen oxides (NOx) per kilometer. KTM/Husky must meet an emission standard of 0.8 g HC+NOx per km.

Check out Table E2006-2 on page 2436 here: https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2004-01-15/pdf/04-6.pdf

The text explains that small-volume manufacturers remain subject to the older Tier 1 standards.

The difference in emission standards may explain why fuel injection on the Betas reportedly performs better than on the KTMs/Huskys.

I'm not trying to knock KTM/Husky here. They are undoubtedly great bikes. I'm just sharing what I find to be interesting information. So please, let's not turn this into another silly KTM vs Beta thread.
2018 Beta 390 RR-S
2016 Beta 250RR sold
2013 KTM 350 XCF-W sold
worstell

Re: Beta vs KTM/Husky 4T emission standards street legal

Postby njbill » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:49 pm

Probably the reason why I walked out of the dealer with a street registration and tag for my 2018 xtrainer. :o
2016 Beta 390 RR
2013 Yamaha WR250R
njbill

Postby hooter » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:48 pm

Ah so! Very interesting. This probably explains why firfighter's 390 came with no emissions gear. Hopefully (likely) they are the same in Canada.
hooter

Postby Engstrom » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:16 pm

Funny, when I got my 350rr i had a bitch of a time registering it for street legal. I bought it out of state, dealer wouldnt put down street miles from new, had all the street attachment but technically wasnt street legal so major gray area . Went to several DMV's amd couldnt get a straight answer. So Finally went to a po dunk place and registered it and got a plate right away. So now I know I will always keep my 2016 350 rr simply because its plated.
Engstrom

Postby firffighter » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:19 pm

Mine had no charcoal canister, evap hoses, and plug already in cylinder. This was NOT done by my dealer or myself. Came to dealer in Oregon this way.

I only had the green cap inside the fuel cap, which I removed.

Very nice to get a FI bike off the showroom floor that runs spot on, needs no tuning, and had zero emmisons paraphernalia.
firffighter

Return to Engine - 4 Stroke