'18 390RRS cooling fan issue?

4 stroke engine,carburation, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Re: '18 390RRS cooling fan issue?

Postby d3v1l6 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:05 pm

mrquick68 wrote:I thought the same thing. my 390 would never turn the fan on. You just haven't gotten it hot enough is my guess. has it ever gotten hot enough to spit any coolant out the overflow? If not, then its not hot enough yet. Seems the 390 runs pretty cool... Only time i've ever seen the fan on is when racing mine, in slow sections.

Hasn't spit out any coolant that I've noticed, but thanks for the info, will keep an eye on the overflow.
d3v1l6

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Thu May 17, 2018 9:21 pm

d3v1l6 wrote:
mrquick68 wrote:I thought the same thing. my 390 would never turn the fan on. You just haven't gotten it hot enough is my guess. has it ever gotten hot enough to spit any coolant out the overflow? If not, then its not hot enough yet. Seems the 390 runs pretty cool... Only time i've ever seen the fan on is when racing mine, in slow sections.

Hasn't spit out any coolant that I've noticed, but thanks for the info, will keep an eye on the overflow.

You still haven’t answered. Have you started the bike and let it idle and waited to see if the fan goes off?

It’s simple. Just try it.
hawaiidirtrider

Postby d3v1l6 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:05 pm

hawaiidirtrider wrote:
d3v1l6 wrote:

You still haven’t answered. Have you started the bike and let it idle and waited to see if the fan goes off?

It’s simple. Just try it.

Sorry, I haven't. I've got enough evidence now to confirm the fan is shot. Question now is whether or not the my local dealership (world's worst) will swap it out on warranty.
d3v1l6

Postby NJZoltan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:32 pm

d3v1l6 wrote:Hey all,

What is the temperature at which the cooling fan should be kicking in?

I'm trying to confirm whether or not my cooling fan is actually working. I've tried running it straight off the battery with no luck, and the blade puts up a lot of resistance when I try to spin it manually. Bike peaked at 91C/196F last weekend and still no fan. Anyways, just trying to confirm the temperature spec before I call my local service department.

Thanks!

Few things. If you jump the switch and the fan doesn't turn on instantly, there is a problem with the fan. Check to see if anything is prohibiting it from spinning. I had a rock in mine and it broke one of the fins which kept it from spinning. On that note, because my fan was stuck, it shorted the connector. I had to bypass the connector and it worked fine. I believe they sell a lower temp fan switch if you want to run it cooler and they also sell a fan switch. I mounted a switch so I can manually turn it on at all times when I'm riding tight single track in hot weather. I may have a pic of the burnt connector..let me know if you want me to post. good luck
NJZoltan

Postby d3v1l6 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:40 am

Update if anyone is interested.

Brought bike to have fan looked at on the 19th of June. Fan was confirmed as being non-serviceable and a new one was ordered. so that's that.

Now the issue is getting the F'in thing in and installed. I was told it would take up to two months. I asked if this would be a warranty issue since the bike had been purchase in December and could not be given a proper answer from the Service Department. As of today, after a visit and an email to the dealership, still waiting on the fan and whether or not it's going to be warranty work.

Curious to hear if others in Canada, and in the US, are having the same problem with parts availability... is this a supply chain issue with Beta, Beta Canada, or is the dealership just out to lunch....
d3v1l6

Postby Deck1 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:40 am

I bet SMS probably has the whole kit on the shelf for $169

http://www.motosupply.com/beta-motorcyc ... p-501.html
Dale in Colfax
2016 500RS
Deck1

Postby Lonesome Dave » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:54 pm

Try emailing BETA and ask the same question. I'd like to hear what their response is, if any.
Older - Wiser - Faster !
Lonesome Dave

Postby Marty Moose » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:34 pm

Its either your dealer or the parts supply in your country. Parts are easy to get and available.
MM
Marty Moose

Postby d3v1l6 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:08 pm

Spoke to the dealership today, was told another week or two. That's three months for a fan kit, if it arrives. Fortunately, I did get confirmation that it is covered under warranty.

I've been documenting this whole fiasco since day one, once I finally get the fan on the bike, I'll be sending an email off to the distributor and BETA in order to find out WTF is going on.

I absolutely love my BETA, but service/support from the dealerships in my province has been hair pullingly frustrating since I first started looking to buy one. I ride mostly with two other BETA owners and they have suffered through the same issues. The brand definitely deserves better.
d3v1l6

Postby Deck1 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:31 pm

d3v1l6 wrote:Spoke to the dealership today, was told another week or two. That's three months for a fan kit, if it arrives. Fortunately, I did get confirmation that it is covered under warranty.

I've been documenting this whole fiasco since day one, once I finally get the fan on the bike, I'll be sending an email off to the distributor and BETA in order to find out WTF is going on.

I absolutely love my BETA, but service/support from the dealerships in my province has been hair pullingly frustrating since I first started looking to buy one. I ride mostly with two other BETA owners and they have suffered through the same issues. The brand definitely deserves better.

Just for reference. Here in California, I ordered non-stocking parts from Reno, Nevada Beta dealer, online on New Years Eve, received on 01/08/19
Dale in Colfax
2016 500RS
Deck1

PreviousNext

Return to Engine - 4 Stroke