Engine and Trans Oil quantities

4 stroke engine,carburation, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Engine and Trans Oil quantities

Postby den » Thu May 10, 2018 12:35 pm

Do you guys put the amount of oil found in the manual for engine and trans?

I followed the instructions in the manual and put 750ml of trans oil and opened the check screw (again, per the instructions) and 400ml of oil came out!

For the engine oil, I followed the manual to the letter and the top level of the oil is well above the site glass. Should I be worried?

I'm more worried about having too much than too little. Something doesnt seem right.
den

Re: Engine and Trans Oil quantities

Postby firffighter » Thu May 10, 2018 5:47 pm

There's been much debate on this and there's some steps to ensure proper amount is not only added, but drained.

I take a lot of time tipping the bike on both sides ensuring all of the oil has been drained.

Also, oil filter change every oil change also ensures all of the oil is getting out of the crank case.

Lastly, motor must be fully warmed up and bike run through the gears before any check on level.

I've put exactly 750 ml in my 390 everytime with no issues.
firffighter

Postby Marty Moose » Thu May 10, 2018 7:14 pm

firffighter wrote:There's been much debate on this and there's some steps to ensure proper amount is not only added, but drained.

I take a lot of time tipping the bike on both sides ensuring all of the oil has been drained.

Also, oil filter change every oil change also ensures all of the oil is getting out of the crank case.

Lastly, motor must be fully warmed up and bike run through the gears before any check on level.

I've put exactly 750 ml in my 390 everytime with no issues.

What he said you must spend the time to get all the oil out. I ignore the level screws and use 800ml in each a little more hurts no one and I've not had an issue in over 250hrs.
Last edited by Marty Moose on Thu May 10, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marty Moose

Postby Lonesome Dave » Thu May 10, 2018 8:47 pm

^ ditto

The key is to get all the hot oil out (tip it from side to side), then fill it (800ml). I change the engine oil/filter and transmission oil every other time. The next time, I change the engine oil only and leave the oil filter and transmission oil for the next time.

And yes, don't use the oil level bolt for the transmission.

my two cents!
Older - Wiser - Faster !
Lonesome Dave

Postby den » Fri May 11, 2018 11:21 am

Alright well then thats the way to do it. Thanks!
den

Postby little_wing » Fri May 11, 2018 6:50 pm

with my 2 stroke I always drain the oil in to a measuring cup so I can be sure how much comes out.. so that I can see if I am leaking any or burning any oil.
for us with the 250/300 2 strokes as per the manual we take 850-1000 ml. with the oil check bolt I need to have about 975 ml before it starts to dripple out. the manual states normal is 850ml.... if riding in heavy mud or sand like sand dunes then the manual states 1000ml
2015 beta 250RR
little_wing

Postby NJZoltan » Fri May 18, 2018 1:20 pm

den wrote:Do you guys put the amount of oil found in the manual for engine and trans?

I followed the instructions in the manual and put 750ml of trans oil and opened the check screw (again, per the instructions) and 400ml of oil came out!

For the engine oil, I followed the manual to the letter and the top level of the oil is well above the site glass. Should I be worried?

I'm more worried about having too much than too little. Something doesnt seem right.

I always measure how much comes out from the bike at the oil change interval. I then use that as a starting point. To me, what comes out is a better base line as how much goes in. I change my oil frequently and never have a problem. I'm usually around the 500ml range before I start topping off. I'm close to 3500 miles
NJZoltan

Postby Noppy » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:55 am

With my 498 from '12 I put in 0.8L on the left and 1.0L on the right, as I have a Rekluse.
Noppy

Postby Flobrandx » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:13 pm

Beta noob here...So I’m confused by the manual and sight glass checks for proper level. I drained and put approx 850mil in on my 14’ 520RS. It was above the sight glass but it says cold it should be at the bottom and hot at the top? This seems backwards to my brain. Please help and confirm.
Flobrandx

Postby Sweepea » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:50 pm

den wrote:Do you guys put the amount of oil found in the manual for engine and trans?

After about 6 oil/transmission fluid changes I've found out that the 750 each side seems the best. My local dealer told me to put in 1000ml in the crankcase, but that backfired immediately, overflowed into the air box and made a mess. At 750 though, you're probably above the top of the sight glass when not running. When running, at 750ml I can see the oil flow in the sight glass. That seems like the best compromise to me. As for the transmission, oil will overflow through the indicator port over 500 ml. I still use 750ml in the transmission because a slight overfill is not going to foam up in the transmission and reduce lubrication like it would in the crankcase.
Sweepea

Next

Return to Engine - 4 Stroke