engine temp on 2016 350 R

4 stroke engine,carburation, EFI, and exhaust discussion

engine temp on 2016 350 R

Postby Sweepea » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:39 pm

Does anyone know what temperature the thermostat is set to? Other than a boil-over, how do you know whether you are running the right temperature. I used a IR thermometer on the head, and it seems like the set point is about 215 degrees F. Sure seems like it's running hot most of the time, but I only get a little overflow into the skid plate now and then. I do most of my riding in FL; do I really need a thermostat? Can I/should I remove it? Should I check the thermostat? Or, like in the old days, we used to drill holes in the thermostat for a full-time constant flow.

Thanks in advance,
Paul.
Sweepea

Re: engine temp on 2016 350 R

Postby NJZoltan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:34 pm

Sweepea wrote:Does anyone know what temperature the thermostat is set to? Other than a boil-over, how do you know whether you are running the right temperature. I used a IR thermometer on the head, and it seems like the set point is about 215 degrees F. Sure seems like it's running hot most of the time, but I only get a little overflow into the skid plate now and then. I do most of my riding in FL; do I really need a thermostat? Can I/should I remove it? Should I check the thermostat? Or, like in the old days, we used to drill holes in the thermostat for a full-time constant flow.

Thanks in advance,
Paul.

I think someone posted the temp for the switch. Betausa.com sell a lower temp sensor and you can buy a fan. I have the same bike and run a fan with a manual switch. Hope this helps.
NJZoltan

Return to Engine - 4 Stroke